#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

This story courtesy of The Province @ http://www.theprovin...8107/story.html

What would be the reaction if Greenpeace tried that action here  :coolsmiley:

Greenpeace drops rocks off Sweden to halt trawling

By Daniel Zdolsek , ReutersAugust 10, 2009

OFF THE SWEDISH COAST - The environmental group Greenpeace dropped dozens of boulders into the Kattegatt, the strait between Sweden and Denmark, on Monday to fight 'bottom trawling' with nets that rake the seabed.

Sweden, which holds the six-month European Union presidency, called Greenpeace's actions "confrontational" and said that, while it wanted to protect marine life, the waters were not a spawning area for popular species like cod.

Greenpeace activists faced rough seas as they sank the first 40 of a planned 180 boulders weighing 0.5 to 3 tonnes each into the Kattegatt waters, 20 km (12 miles) off southwest Sweden, while half a dozen fishing trawlers circled nearby.

Bottom trawling is widely seen as damaging to the seabed and resulting in high levels of by-catch, which Greenpeace says fishermen toss back dead or dying.

Magnus Kindbom, a political adviser at Sweden's fisheries ministry, said the action threatened agreements with neighbouring Denmark on fishing bans in other larger, more sensitive fishing areas between their coasts.

Greenpeace said in a statement that Sweden must introduce a permanent ban on fishing in the area by its own vessels. Under the EU Common Fisheries Policy members can ban their own vessels from an area, and those of another nation by bilateral agreement, but cannot issue a general fishing ban on a site.

European countries have done little to protect marine sites because they are bound by the CFP, which is based on the principle that EU fishermen have equal access to all member states' waters, Greeenpeace said.

It urged the Swedish EU presidency to reform the CFP to enable member states to impose tougher conservation measures on protected marine areas.

The area of the Kattegatt strewn with boulders is listed under Natura 2000, a network of protected areas across the 27-member bloc aimed at protecting wildlife and its habitats.

Greenpeace says the site is the only one off Sweden known to hold maerl beds, formed from slow-growing algae, and bubble reefs made of lime deposit, and is vulnerable to bottom trawling.

It says that before the Kattegat's fish stocks collapsed, it held important feeding grounds for fish and a spawning ground for herring. It is an important winter feeding ground for many seabirds and is covered with kelp forests teeming with marine life.

Greenpeace said that in 2008 it dropped 320 boulders in waters off northern Germany and this had been highly effective in curbing trawling in the area.

Sweden's Kindbom said there was a risk that fishing boats would be unable to steer clear of the boulders and that some of the rocks were light enough to be pulled aboard, damaging boats or injuring fishermen.

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Originally posted in www.fishnewseu.com

ENVIRONMENTAL activists from Greenpeace yesterday began dropping 2 tonne boulders into the Kattegat between Denmark and Sweden to prevent trawlers operating in the area. The group intend to drop a total of 180 boulders to prevent what it says are destructive forms of fishing in the area.

The area is mainly used by Danish fishermen but is listed under the EU's Habitat Directive because of its unique and rich sea life.
Local fishermen tried to block the port of Varberg, where a large cargo ship loaded with tonnes of Greenpeace's granite blocks headed out to sea.
The head of regional fishermen's association Hallandsfiskarna, Viking Bengtsson, declared at an earlier hearing that the placement of stones was "unnecessary," but agreed that reformed fisheries management is needed in the region.
Meanwhile the Danish minister with responsibility for fisheries, Eva Kjer Hansen, firmly rejected the Greenpeace methods: "It is up to the authorities to decide where to fish and where not to fish. Greenpeace action is pure sabotage that causes legitimate Danish fishermen lost opportunities.”
The minister also believes that similar actions in Danish waters would be illegal.
"It is in violation of Danish law to prevent lawfully fishing, and action must take place in Swedish waters, I have contacted the Swedish fisheries minister to get him to take action," she said, pointing out that the German authorities last year announced that similar action by the island Herring was unlawful.
Eva Kjer Hansen also explained that it makes no sense that Denmark and Sweden have agreed to close areas to fishing in the Kattegat to spare stock if organizations carry out their own unilateral actions.
"Greenpeace has plenty of opportunities to lawfully demonstrate their discontent and to raise political debate such as within the Ministry of Food Advisory Committee on EU fisheries policy, where already sit. If they choose to implement this action, I can not see Greenpeace as a serious player in the field of fisheries,” she said.

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:03 AM

They did this before off Hollands coast if I remember correct a year or two back,time the French secret service was paying them another visit
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#4 sam

sam

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

So these coral beds (or whatever they are) are going to benefit from having 3 tonne boulders dropped on top of them? I think the only thing that wouldn't be damaged by having a boulder dropped on it is a Greenpeace campaigners head, they're that thick. If they love the seabed that much then they should bury themselves under it.

#5 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Unfortunately sh*t floats so would need about a 10 ton boulder to hold that shower of sh*t down
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#6 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

I thought there were laws that covered dumping anything at sea...surely doesnae apply to that bunch does it? The sooner yon team of "don't fish here,don't eat this fish,hug a tree,protect a lump of coral ar*eholes" get kicked into the long grass the better it will be for everybody.Just typical of them though to drop heavy weights on honest working men's tows with no thought whatsoever for the lives they might put at risk on any boat that picked them up...if their brains were gunpowder and exploded,it wouldnae singe their feckin' eyebrows O0

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

Reply to this topic