9 replies to this topic

#1 www.wanderbirdcruises.com

www.wanderbirdcruises.com

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hey Gang, Rick and Karen Miles. We are former fishermen who bought, steamed across the pond and converted a 27m North Sea trawler to a 12 passenger expedition vessel. The vessel's former name was JACZON from the Rotterdam area. We operate expeditions from Maine to Greenland. Our website is www.wanderbirdcruises.com   Glad to be aboard here....thanks

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi Rick & Karen

Good to have you on board and look forward to seeing some photo's from your side of the Pond  :idiot2:

We did discuss your boat a little while ago and the question of whether her engine was original was raised - the consensus was that it would be - can you confirm?

#3 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

blimey rick, nearly choked on me coffee then!  looked on your site and you've got an absolute double living over here!  thought you we're a  mate of mine I hadn't seen for a bit.  the resemblance is spookily uncanny!

welcome aboard though!

#4 www.wanderbirdcruises.com

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:36 AM

Hey Steve. Thanks for the welcome. I was trying to do a search for Wanderbird but came up empty. The main engine is an INDUSTRIE which is rated for 500 HP at 500 RPM with reversing gear by Kuypers. We also have on board tow SAMOFA S-208 generators of 20kw each.......all original! We have logged over 30.000 nm in the 6 years since we brought here across the pond. The equipment is all first rate! I could and will talk all day on the engines and generators but I'll spare you from that. Also Hey Mark..thanks for the welcome and I hope the coffee went down ok. Small world I guess..Cheers, Rick

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hey Steve. Thanks for the welcome. I was trying to do a search for Wanderbird but came up empty. The main engine is an INDUSTRIE which is rated for 500 HP at 500 RPM with reversing gear by Kuypers. We also have on board tow SAMOFA S-208 generators of 20kw each.......all original! We have logged over 30.000 nm in the 6 years since we brought here across the pond. The equipment is all first rate! I could and will talk all day on the engines and generators but I'll spare you from that. Also Hey Mark..thanks for the welcome and I hope the coffee went down ok. Small world I guess..Cheers, Rick

Hi Rick

Yes I checked out the Forum psotings and couldn't locate the thread - perhaps it has been removed for some reason or perhaps it was all just a dream  :o

Regards

Steve E.

#6 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

Welcome aboard Rick and Karen.

Heres the thread, still there....

http://www.trawlerpi...0.html#msg10340

#7 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

Welcome aboard Rick and Karen.

Heres the thread, still there....

http://www.trawlerpi...0.html#msg10340

Well done 'Super Sleuth' Kev - tried for ages to find this thread without success  :o

#8 www.wanderbirdcruises.com

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Kevin and Steve. My wife and I did most of the refit ourselves with the help of some firends/ship's carpenters. We are a working family and , just like fishing, times are up and down and the real reward is living the lifestyle that we choose..( and paying most of the bills) Rarely a day goes by when we aren't on our feet working for 16 hrs each day. Our main engine is affectionately named Soren. What a machine. I never cease to be amazed at how well built and designed these older engines were, especially as compared to their modern counterparts. Industrie engines were designed to run forever! Believe it or not, we burn only 24 litres of fuel each hour when steaming at 7.5 knts and that includes the SAMAOFA generator running as well. We've steamed 32, 479 miles in the 6 years since we've had the vessel and she's never missed a beat.. We do love our vessel and we plan to voyage to Newfoundland, Labrador and Greenland in the summer of 2010. As a lad, I fished for cod in the straits of Greenland but never got ashore over there.  Cheers, Rick   oh yes, our website is at www.wanderbirdcruises.com

#9 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

welcome to the site rick and karen just goes to show how a fishing boat that has passed it fishing days can still be used for other things
looks grand inside
james

#10 www.wanderbirdcruises.com

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

Thanks James! We wanted her to retain her commercial look on the outside and be a bit of a classic steamer within. At alm ost every port we stop at , especially Newfoundland, fellas come down to the vessel and talk about the days when they used to fish on " beamers just like she"   Those are the highlights of our voyages...rafting up at commercial docks and sharing yarns....cheers, Rick

Reply to this topic