driving licence PLEASE READ MAY SAVE A FINE(none fishing thread)

5 replies to this topic

#1 paul h

paul h

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationwhitby

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

how many members knew that its a legal requiment to renew your photo card licence every 10 years he is an artice i put on another site
as copied from LEGAL MATTERS TRUCK AND DRIVER (this didnt happen to me)

I was stopped for a roadside check by a police officer and asked to produce all my documents and tachographs and driving licence. i felt i had no problems as i have a clean driving licence for 20 years to my astonishment the officer advised me that my licence was invalid it seems my photo card driving licence was out of date. i should of received a renewal notice from dvla i didnt WHERE DO I STAND
THE LEGAL REPLY
All drivers have to check there licence carefully and the photo renewed every ten years failule to do so invaladtes your licence not only can you be convicted for not having a valid licence and finded up to £1000 your inscurance is invalid for the vehicle you drive

i should of put this up first might of made more sence hope this will help people in furture as it was something i didnt understand cheers paul.
I KNOW NOTHING TO DO WITH FISHING BUT IF IT STOPS MEMBERS GETTIN FINED THEN MAYBE WAS WORTH READING

#2 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

I've still got (and only got) a proper paper one, and intend to hang on to that as long as possible

#3 paul h

paul h

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationwhitby

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

dont blame you there mark and dont ever remembere reading anything when i got my photo 1 came as a shock when i read about people i ask didnt know thats why i thought id post it on here

#4 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:19 PM

Im the same as you mark, still got the paper one.

#5 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

very good point, i'd read a while ago about this happening, hopefully all the CN members will rush to my photobooth at tesco to get their pics taken, only £4!!!
seriously, another thing that came to my notice after seeing it on telly was whats actually on your photo license, i've only ever had a provisional, never that keen on driving, now i just don't as my legs fall asleep within ten minutes of having them on pedals etc, when the wife passed her test we both got the photo license, i never bothered to look at mine until recently when i discovered that my bike licence that i passed in 1981 wasn't on the license? seems a lot of others have had the same problem, HGV drivers among them, if you can't produce documented proof of when you passed then you need to resit the test, meaning you have to show your pass certificate, the paperwork the tester gives you when you pass, who keeps such a thing for 27yrs? its just the kind of thing that gets discarded or lost during house moves etc, a quick look at your license to see if all your entitlements are on it is worth doing, the DVLA told me to send the photo license and the paper version that accompanies it with a covering letter and they'll look into it, since the paper version you get back is a new one and not your original then the entitlements on it will be the same as the photo version, if there are mistakes on one then they'll be on the other. i decided not to bother, its not as if i'm ever going to get another bike, the wife already told me to look for a flat of my own to go with it if i did. instead i'm planning on a trike being officially disabled due to my MS i can happily ride a trike as long as its a single seater, all i need now is to find a way round the flat problem, i haven't had a haircut this year. i told her i'm growing it for the next four years so i can have a ponytail to go with the trike, even after 25yrs she can't decide if i'm serious, i see it as a bargaining chip, offset the flat threat, i know which side my bread is buttered on, but seriously while your looking at the date your photo license expires just look to make sure all your entitlements are on it too, you might get a nasty shock!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#6 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

and they bang on about ID cards... so WTF is a photo driving licence then if not a photo ID card.  passed my bike test in 1983, can I prove it, nope, apart from an extra letter printed on the back of my 'proper' licence

my dads licence was the best, he dies earlier this year, just missed his 90th, he had car, bike and class one HGV on his licence, never sat a test for any of them, got drafted in 1939, told em he'd driven a tractor, and that was it, had 'driver' marked on his service record, showed his paybook at the post office when he was demobbed and they handed him a licence!

Reply to this topic