#1 ed_shred

ed_shred

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hello to everyone, Ed here. 

I came to this site after researching living on a converted fishing boat on the web. 

I grew up around boats in the south west, and the family always had a small boat.  After being away from Britain for several years, I'm coming back and had been thinking about buying somewhere to live.  Somehow a house never appealed to me, and I've always dreamt of living on a boat.  I looked at houseboats, narrowboats, but when I started seeing pictures of converted fishing boats, I felt I might be on my way home. 

I plan to get back to Devon in about two months and start researching the whole thing in earnest.  For now, I'm just seeing what I can find out on the web.  So, I'll stick around and see if I can learn something. 

Would love to hear from anyone who lives on a converted fishing boat, especially in Devon or Cornwall!

Cheers,

Ed

#2 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

welcome to the site ed, there maybe a lot of fishermen on here but there are also ex fishermen. retired ,boat enthusiasts , photographers , and all .
there is a section if you have any queries for help on the site or for your dream project

hope you enjoy the site james

#3 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to the site Ed,

Hope you enjoy it.

#4 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

brave man!  for joining this place and looking for an old boat to convert, but good on ya for it!

not living on one yet, but if wor lass susses out how much money I'm throwing at the one I'm doing, its a distinct possibility!

#5 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Welcome aboard Ed ,would love to be able to do a conversion ,hopefully you will read the comments and do whats right for the vessel of your choice
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#6 ed_shred

ed_shred

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. 

The more I looked into it, the more work I realised there would be.  My motivation started to fade, but to my surprise, it has now come back even stronger, and I'm keen to throw everything into the project. 

I've just realised that Markh is the Pansy man, a story I've been following with interest.  Like him, after looking at plenty of boats, I have realised that there really is something special about the older wooden boats, so that is the direction I'm going in. 

The key factor in my project will be finances, because I plan to work on the conversion full time until the boat is liveable on (Live onable?  Livaboardable?  Finished?).  So the first thing will be a careful costing, because an unfinished project with no money left is not where I want to be. 

I look forward to keeping you all updated!

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. 

The more I looked into it, the more work I realised there would be.  My motivation started to fade, but to my surprise, it has now come back even stronger, and I'm keen to throw everything into the project. 

I've just realised that Markh is the Pansy man, a story I've been following with interest.  Like him, after looking at plenty of boats, I have realised that there really is something special about the older wooden boats, so that is the direction I'm going in. 

The key factor in my project will be finances, because I plan to work on the conversion full time until the boat is liveable on (Live onable?  Livaboardable?  Finished?).  So the first thing will be a careful costing, because an unfinished project with no money left is not where I want to be. 

I look forward to keeping you all updated!

'The Pansy Man'  be called a few things in my time but thats a first!

feel free to stick your 2 pen'th on the blog!

finances are a factor, but a more important one is time, if you've got the time you can achieve allsorts with a bit of cunning, its when the 'professionals' get involved it gets a bit pricey

we've done all right so far, the oak we just bought has probably been the biggest expense so far, took a bit of finding but was an absolute steal for the quality and what we paid for it

#8 ed_shred

ed_shred

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

Mark,

I can see that I'm going to have to be careful with the name if I buy a boat, that comment might come back and bite me on the a**e. 

It is very heartening to hear to say that it is time that matters, because at the moment, I have time.  I do plan to stay away from 'professionals' for all but the most essential stuff. 

At the moment, my two pen'orth will be just questions, but I have so far found your blog to be a mine of useful information, and a very good read to boot. 

Cheers!

#9 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

wait till you see the pics from today  :tickedoff: :o

me, a wooden boat and chainsaw, what could possibly go wrong!   O0

Reply to this topic