37 replies to this topic

#31 Sweltered

Sweltered

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

You forgot to mention landing prawns for them when they were on a quota from Young's and yer faither was landing to SeaBear. I always laugh at folk on the Kintyre forum speaking about supporting local businesses. Remember what happened when the Jasmine was supporting the local prawn factory? Certain well know skippers made sure his quota was cut when he had to start landing back with Young's.

Solidarity my arse!!!!
"Hanging is the outlaw's path to glory and much too good for the likes of you."

#32 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:46 AM

i hadn't forgotten about the seabear thing, not only were we landing three boats stuff atthe time but all three were working weekends so they took full advantage of the situation, i can only make an educated guess at who made us scapegoats as my memory fails me on that front, you can remind me and i'll post their names if i feel they didn't subsequently redeem themselves. not as if i try to make friends and influence people is it?

the two boats we were landing the prawns for? well ours would have tickets in them with the boats name and number, the boxes of one would be landed, ticketless, then ours with tickets then the second boat without tickets, so they'd know who's was who's and nobody prying would see boxes with their tickets in them.
for decency sake i won't name the skippers, but it was a pair of varnished boats that neebured each other for many years at the midwater and pair trawl too, i'll give you a clue, one was called the alliance the other the aquila, but i'm not naming names, even better they would only put one man aboard with us to land and would steam back to gigha, moor up and would have had their dinner by the time we arrived back, loaded with empties and stores for them. its not something that just happened once, apart from the seabear episode it happened every year from jan-sept, several times a week, at times early in the year we'd only get as far up the loch as kennacraig due to ice, both boats would suddenly become slower than us, no point in getting your own boat cut up with ice now is there? i might add that both boats seemed to suddenly be able to get into tayinloan on weeks when our father wasn't in command? they never asked me to take their stuff in for some reason? probably cause we, the crew used to voice our displeasure at the barefaced liberties they took and i used to threaten a 10% levy for transporting their catch.
i will say that the one man that would come aboard from the aquila was tommy, even if he was in command, from experiences on another site with the offspring of the other boat, its easy to see where they learned to be complete A holes!!! i remember the youngs thing, we were restricted in what whole we could land and none on a friday, i will say the crowd at seabear were the best i ever worked with, nothing was any trouble for them, if we were working evening and morning they'd come for the stuff anytime, load the lorry themselves and take your stores aboard for you and not disturb you if you were sleeping, the other lot wouldn't even get out a lorry to catch a rope!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#33 Sweltered

Sweltered

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

THE HUNGRY OCEAN BY LINDA GREENLAW, ISBN 0786864516

got my copy on amazon from greenerbooks, its a good idea to look at the used section for a book, my copy is a brand new hardback copy and only cost 30p plus postage, tho postage seems to be £2.75 regardless of where the book comes from even tho it came from london second class so they make a bit off the postage as it wouldn't have cost any more than £1.50 to post.
interesting read with lots of technical details about methods used for swordfishing, and the one fact that got me was the checking the engineroom every half hour, see thats what you get on fancy boats with toilets, if you've a can aboard then the engineroom gets visited by everybody in the course of the day, unless your the skipper of the supreme who used to go the whole week without a discharge, or so he said once, but that might have just been if away from home for the week, round the west side., some i know are full of it, regardless of the frequency of their ablutions

Just realised, I'm reading another book by her called "All fishermen are liars"
"Hanging is the outlaw's path to glory and much too good for the likes of you."

#34 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

she has written several books since leaving the swordfishing for life back on her home island of isle de huit or some such name, one about creeling and the one you mention, can't say i liked her writing style enough to want to read the rest, mind you i wouldn't want a job on a swordfish boat either, 30 day trip grossed $132,000 and the crew got $5,480 and the cost of the food came off the crew share, plus the extra the skipper got, 10% of the net after expenses but it came off the crews half tho calculated on the whole, meant she was getting some of the crews share while the owner didn't lose a cent from the boat share. LB wouldn't last long atthat job, even worse than the ayrshire skippers he complains about!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#35 mack rill

mack rill

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

a great book about a trawler from grimsby fishing up in the ice true story its called lovely she goes bywilliam mitford published 1969 brilliant read its on amazon copies from only 50pence so youlll no have tae remorgage yer boatie tae buy it great reading.

#36 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

Just read a book called It must be Stornaway by Catherine Mackay ,it is the history of the Stornaway Harbour commisioners from its set up till 1997 I think and very informative also ,tells the story from when Stornaway began as a fishing port uptil the days of Arnish and the new link span and what the commisioners did to improve the port from a humble fishing port to the oil industry
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#37 mack rill

mack rill

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

sure i menrioned this a while back  but  here again  lovely she goes  brilliant book true story about an artic trawler

#38 mactheboat

mactheboat

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

You would need to include Fred Normandales (so far)3 books-First of the flood,Slack water andThe tide turns.

Reply to this topic