4 replies to this topic

#1 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

I would like some info on skype. my granda who is 83 is wanting to see and speak to his family in australia we have tried it on windows live messenger but it wasnt working at the australia side of things. they suggested we use skype but i dont know anything about it and i was woundering whats free on it and whats not also how to use it any help greatly appreaciated
regards
young knoxy :-*

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

It's very good Knoxy, I use it a lot on the yacht and yes it is free computer to computer, just need to set it up with user name etc same as messenger, we have 1MB broadband onboard so using household broadband it'll be nice and clear as will the video.
You can also set it to pay for calls to foreign phones, works out very cheap and it's as clear as a mobile most of the time.
Buy a decent set of Microphone/headset, makes a big difference
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

tescos in ayr had some cheap skype phones headsets etc  :-*

#4 calumbo

calumbo

Mate

• Administrators
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDunure

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Also very easy to set up - made for a anyone to use so I doubt your grandpa would have troubles getting it to work.

#5 terryw

terryw

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Destination                                   Price excl. VAT                        Price incl. VAT
Australia                                          £0.012                                        £0.013
Australia - Canberra                         £0.012                                        £0.013
Australia - Mobile                             £0.116                                        £0.133
Australia - Sydney                           £0.012                                        £0.013

here you go knoxy just set up your skype account and  buy some credit off them and thats the prices you would pay. i bought myself a usb phone and i find this better than using a headset. or if you really want to splash out you can buy a hands free set for about £30.00 it just sits in its base set  on charge and you can use up to 50 meters away from the base set. hope this helps you out.
A wife is someone who'll stand by you through all the trouble you wouldn't have had if you stayed single!

Reply to this topic