Superstitious??

20 replies to this topic

#1 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Now here's a wee dilemma I need to resolve.....  I found a penny down in the bilges, dated 1937 - when boat was built, guessing it was put there for luck.  SO I cleaned it and shove it back whence it came

It has just been pointed out to me that it could be worth shed loads of money.  All down to the sexual pecadillos of Eddie the 8.  Loads of pennies were minted with his nappa on, but he jacked it in before they released them, although some are know to have gone out - mainly to go in foundations of buildings AND (critically) to shipyards for new builds......

so they scrapped the ones they had and made new ones with georgie 6 on instead, and these went into general circulation

Need to go ferret in the bilges and find the fecker first... but what if its got eddie on and is worth thousands??  would you whip it oot, flog it and be done, or leave it be and not risk invoking the wrath of the sea faeries making the netty backfire or something??

what would you do??

This could all of course be an eleborate ruse to get someone to break in the boat and clean the bilges for me in order to find it     :) ;D

#2 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

friggin flog it quick- a penny wont keep her floating!and if your a wee bit funny about it replace it with a modern one with the year of the restoration on or replace it with a coin with george on from the same year
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#3 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

friggin flog it quick- a penny wont keep her floating!and if your a wee bit funny about it replace it with a modern one with the year of the restoration on or replace it with a coin with george on from the same year

Had on there, that might be going a bit far, I was thinking of putting and I.O.U down there instead

#4 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

when you originally said 1937 penny the thought did cross my mind but i looked at the pic, in fact i canna mind you saying 1937 i noticed the date on the pic on your page but it was the reverse side of the coin so i just assumed it was a GVI penny, i think i'm correct in saying there were only about eight known to be in circulation, as in private hands. we used to look at the date on every old penny we came across as kids after seeing a story about just this story on blue peter, we had a collection of ones going back to early in victoria's reign but never an illusive 1937 edward VIII, so if you have to go and hunt it down just to check? then its naebodies fault but yer ain, ye cleaned it and took a picture of it, ye might at least have paid attention while ye did it, you do realise sometime soon, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day soon, a woman will tell you that she, would have noticed, sure as the sun will come up on Saint Sundon'tcomeup's day, you will have to hang your head and mumble those words "i know you would have" and make it sound believable.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#5 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

I always look for 1933 ones, as I know there were only a handful of them ever released, didn't know that 1937 with eddie on were equally rare... showed wor lass it as it happens, but as soon the word 'boat' was mentioned she sort of glazed over......

If I tell her it could be worth several 10's of thousands (according to google) she'll either think the boat's the best thing I've ever bought all of a sudden (unlikely), fall to her kness look up with a twinkle in her eye and profess undying love (more unlikely) or be on the phone tot he solicitor in the morning (probable!)

#6 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

flog it mark then go and order a replica build wi the money sell the one you have wiht the new penny concreted in and just tell ppl its there ;D ;D

#7 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

have you learned nothing about this lot mark? you lost them all at the "she might fall to her knees" bit, they all finished the post in which ever way suited them. as for the 1933 coin, i think thats the one i read that there were only 8 of and it might even be a 1933 ha'penny?
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#8 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

;D ;D

I bought her some knee pads for xmas t'other year but she didn't take the hint!

#9 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

I am not Superstitous, but never tempt fate and mention underground racehorses, grunters, use swan vesta matches or whistle on a boat in case there is anyting in it.
Leave it where it is, don't be greedy in case it gives you grief

#10 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

We were never particularly superstitious, but James Mair of the Golden West of Buckie,our neighbour at the sprats certainly was.We always opened the tins of Carnation/Ideal milk so the label was upside down and left them on the table when he came aboard for a joog of tea as he hated that(upside down tin was an upside down boat).First thing he did was rip the label off then gie us an ear bashing for tempting fate.Mention "unmentionable" words or take a box of "them wee short matches" oot yer pocket tae light a fag and stand by for the fun if he was aboot. A fine lad James,we got on well with him but superstitious ??....jeezo !!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#11 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:11 AM

i'm not superannuate, superma, supersalad, i don't believe in those things but learned from an early age that it is best to respect others that are, courtesy of a slap roon the lug that nearly knocked me off my feet as a smallish boy for daring to mention the R word, the hopping, shagging one, so it is today when i've no need to, ok so that word gets by seeing as we had a couple one after the other as pets, only intelligent conversation i used to get and they would hop up on my lap and nod off but go daft if anyone else touched them, and for a while i was nearly a fulltime hutchbuilder, my niece astounded that i knew santa and he'd asked me to build a big double hutch with run for the two he was bringing her, her father had been celebrating xmas day early and claimed his consience bothered him after all the work i'd done and thought santa shouldn't get credit so told her, aye good, try answering a five yr olds santa questions, i'd rather have been chained to a radiator with terry wait, did santa bring me the wood, did i getto feed the reindeer, i cud have murdered him. so wabbits gets by but the longtail and the curly tail or grunter, even that redfish that swims up rivers, as for the swan vestas matches, i've seen me walk all the way from tesco to the main st to buy a box if tesco only has that brand, its easier to just say  you've changed your mind as explain, tho i reckon they just think i'm too mean to pay thge extra 15-20p!!!
never encountered the red headed women and meeting a minister on the way to the boat or sailing on a friday which is pretty hard if you sail every day, and i can't whistle, tho sometimes come friday i could hum!!!

#12 big wheels

big wheels

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

Ever seen brand new BLUE Volvo's, couple of guys I know on the south coast ordered two 400 hp Volvo;s on the condition they were blue from new,wouldent have green on the boat, Apparantly Volvo obliged and blue engines duly arrived. These same guys also talked Airdale ropes into making coils of pot backline 1000 fathom long strings of sixty without a splice. When the Decca kept giving grief, the Decca man came for the umteenth time and couldent find it in the wheel house, he was told, see that bit of rope hanging over the side well your Decca's on the other end now you know its fecked get us one that works, Them were the days.
Fish tremble at the mere mention of my name.

#13 boat happy

boat happy

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:38 AM

do not say pig on a boat it is bad luck
fishermens friends

#14 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:01 AM

white handled knives was another one, leaving a deck brush on the net was another, never seen many salmon getting flung over the side if you were lucky enough to catch one !!!, 

#15 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

do not say pig on a boat it is bad luck

Hi Boat Happy

In a number of places, including Holy Island, it is a superstition to mention the word pig.

That said, this has thrown up the following "nice story":

The Geordie word for an earthenware hot water bottle (old fashioned water bottles which have always made me wonder if folk used to hurt their toes with) is *Pig Piggy* - The nice story is that a visitor to the area was taken aback when informed that the locals "slept with a pig for warmth".

#16 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hi All

Here's some superstitions that surround the fishermen of Cullercoats:

Salmon was a word not uttered by fishermen because of superstition.  When making reference to salmon, the Cullercoats Fishermen would use the word "redfish".

The word pig wasn't used and there is a proverb "Should it fall upon the lip's of anyone when preparations for fishing are going forward, some ill luck will follow".

Evidently if the word pig was uttered by a stranger and heard by a Fisherman, then the Fisherman had to grasp the nearest piece of cold iron to ward off any ill omens.

There are all sorts of superstitions associated with Cullercoats Fisherman, including which was they have to carry their sea boots!

Another one is if a fisherman heard someone whistling or met a cross eyed person he would either not go to sea that day, or at the least go back home and commence his journey again.

If a reference was made to Pig or Pork the term 'Red Salmon' would be used instead.

#17 boat happy

boat happy

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:11 AM

if you see a man takng photos of fishing vessel  do to sea on tht day ha ha
fishermens friends

#18 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

we made a living fortune fishing salmon- so that one`s definetly s**t- so you`s can all stop calling them redfish :laugh: :laugh: . one of the superstition`s here- its considered unlucky if your boat is sinking from under you :knuppel2: ;D
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#19 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

dont recall anybody throwing them back if you got one at the trawling, usually straight into a pan !! :knuppel2: ;D

#20 Dowler

Dowler

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Remember watching 2 crew members of a ringer nearly knocking one another down to jump into the hold among the herring while we were still brailing to get at 3 salmon. these two would be the first to skelp your ear if you referred to salmon as anything other than a billy or a redfish.

#21 sn 21

sn 21

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorth shields

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

i remember getting a crack across the lug for coiling the dog rope whilst i was facing the sun, not done to coil arope whist facing the sun or moon.
i have heard that if a coin or other item is placed on any wooden vessel as part of a ceremony or tradition, to remove the coin or item removes the protective nature of the item concerned.
so i would say leave it just in case
hell hath no fury like a man who cant find his tools

Reply to this topic