New Member - Any memories of St Monans & Pittenweem?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Lissa J

Lissa J

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Having skulked around as a 'guest' on these boards for a couple of months or so I've taken the plunge and registered.

Although from Yorkshire, I spent every school holiday with my Mum in St Monans in the mid '70s, hanging around Millers Yard and the piers - probably being a nuisance and breaking Health & Safety regs...

I have very fond memories of the Yard and watching the boats being built, including True Vine, Random Harvest, Vigilant and Constant Hope.

Does anyone remember a boat called Paragon II (not III), possibly KY 162? She was an older boat in a very dark green.  Her skipper used to give me star fish which I insisted of taking home, much to my mum's disgust!

I've been really enjoying looking through the pictures on the site, which have brought back some more memories. I'm hoping I can add some of my own in the future.

#2 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

welcome aboard!

you never know some one might remember and send you the bill for all the starfish

#3 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Having skulked around as a 'guest' on these boards for a couple of months or so I've taken the plunge and registered.

Although from Yorkshire, I spent every school holiday with my Mum in St Monans in the mid '70s, hanging around Millers Yard and the piers - probably being a nuisance and breaking Health & Safety regs...

I have very fond memories of the Yard and watching the boats being built, including True Vine, Random Harvest, Vigilant and Constant Hope.

Does anyone remember a boat called Paragon II (not III), possibly KY 162? She was an older boat in a very dark green.  Her skipper used to give me star fish which I insisted of taking home, much to my mum's disgust!

I've been really enjoying looking through the pictures on the site, which have brought back some more memories. I'm hoping I can add some of my own in the future.

Hi Lissa

I had a tour through that area for the first time last July and was particularly taken with Pittenweem, what an interesting place it is, only wished that I had set aside more time to take a look around.

Anyway, one book that you may want to get your hands on is "Fife's Fishing Industry" by Linda McGowan - ISBN 0-7524-2795-4 . I picked my copy up via EBAY, plenty on sale there for less than the cover price.

#4 Lissa J

Lissa J

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for your replies

Kevin Munro has kindly updated me on some of the boats I remember - I'm disappointed to find that True Vine has moved on from Wick as I'm up there in August and wanted to see her, particularly as she's still looking very similar to how I remember and still KY7.

I went to see 'Amble' John Armstrong about 10/11 years ago with regard to the Random Harvest and he told me that she had ended her days as the Alliance over in Ireland. He remembered me from childhood and gave me some wonderful pictures of the 'Harvest at the Pittenweem Gala from the mid '70s, one clearly showing me onboard.  I think I'd better get in touch with him to see if he knows who owns copyright on the pictures to see if I can scan and post them.

In the meantime I'm scanning on some pictures I took at Pittenweem when I was up there in the late '90s, to see if any can stir memories.

Been on ebay and bought the book - looking forward to some reading when it arrives! Thanks!

Still no news on the Paragon tho - the starfish have long gone thankfully. Putting them on the radiators only made the house smell, I never did find a way to dry them effectively!

#5 westword

westword

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

paragon broke up on rock on entering pitteweem 80ish still got millers brass plaque in house somwhere. ;)
KILL EM ALL, LET GOD SORT EM OOT.

#6 Lissa J

Lissa J

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the news on the Paragon  ;)

I was allowed to steer her once back from Pittenweem and almost ended up in the swimming pool at St Monans (I was only about 9).  Is the skipper still about, do you know? 

#7 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

the skipper/owners of the true vine are still going on the east coast but no longer at the fishing frank.... cant remember his 2nd name but he was involved with the clyde fisheries project last few years i have a phone number email for him somewhere

#8 cmcbain

cmcbain

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPittenweem

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hi Lissa J,

Im afraid its all change at St Monans now, there are no trolleys to bring the boats up the slip and they have just started dismantling Millers main building shed so there will be nothing left come the spring.  Pittenweem is the best bet for a working fleet in Fife now.  Got a couple o pics i will post wi the Random Harvest at the gala, it might stir a couple o memories for ya.

Cheers the now

Calum

#9 Fishermans Friend

Fishermans Friend

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

The Alliance (Random Harvest) is still on the go aswel, usually working out of Gigha.

#10 Lissa J

Lissa J

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks Calum - I'll look out for your pics!  Was in Pittenweem in May and August last year. I have to go to the High Street fish bar for a fish supper if I'm anywhere near. We always buy them and eat them in the car by the harbour. I haven't been to St Monans for a couple of years now, although I find it quite sad without the fishing fleet I remember.

I've found some more info on Paragon II on the Ships Nostalgia website -  Someone has posted that she was Floreat II AH30 before becoming Paragon II KY162. Then sold to Isle of Man as RY17 then to Fleetwood as FD400.  He writes that the Paragon III KY86 was wrecked on the rocks outside Pittenweem in 1982. I don't remember Paragon III, tho she must have been fishing from St Monans when I was there.

Thanks to everyone for keeping me updated! Good to hear that Random Harvest is still fishing!

#11 Captain v.E.

Captain v.E.

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Am doing a bit research into the Walter Reekie yard at St Monans at present and Paragon II/ Floreat was one of their builds, built 1933, scrapped at Fleetwood, 1970s I beleive.

#12 jimofnewark

jimofnewark

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Hi LissaJ....the bell of the Paragon belonging to Eck Hutt is hanging in the Seafood restaurant St Monans which was called the Cabin bar when i was young Simmininser still calling last orders. I also sailed in Amble John's  Random Harvest and later Green Pastures both Miller boats. I  worked on the Random Harvest while i worked at J N Miller & sons in the the the seventies i worked there from 66 to 76 as did by brother he as a carpenter and i as an engineer. I am still working at the fishing out of Pittenweem on a prawn boat called the Sanela. If you need any info my e.mail address is jim.griffin@ymail.com.

yours jim griffin

#13 Lissa J

Lissa J

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Bumping a 3 year old post to update that I'm off to Stornoway later this week - can anyone tell me if True Vine is still fishing from there, or is she back in Amble?  Hoping to catch up

Jim - thanks for your update, I'm in Pittemweem in August, so will be in touch, if you're still on the Sanela?  I've been in the Seafood restaurant - remember it as the Cabin too, I went there guising as a kid...

Reply to this topic