26 replies to this topic

#1 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

anybody recieved there copy yet of the book "fishing vessels of britain and ireland"

been waiting over two weeks now

hope it arrives soon as the cd-rom is the prize for the winner of the photo competition lol

#2 Manx Venture

Manx Venture

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPeel , Isle Of Man

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

i got mine this mornin, theyve spoilt it with the new layout and no editorial this year

#3 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Mine arrived in time for Christmas ;D
Don't like the layout ;D the under 10m photo's have gone >:(

Not overly impressed :(

#4 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

it says it is more concised for the wheelhouse now?;D

it was as good as an almanac the last year well as near as

#5 Iain Maciver SY

Iain Maciver SY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationStornoway, Isle of Lewis

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

I got mine last week and i also don't like the new layout and they've also done away with the Editorials. Doubt i'll be getting any future issues because its just not worth the money now.

#6 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

I agree Jammy much better for the wheel house, personally don't like it, much more in last years book, Iain is spot on expensive and doubt I'll bother next year >:(
Pity as the hard back A4 size was a great book :-\

#7 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

wot a joke that book is really dissapointing and thats not down to dave linkie its them r-soles in london fkn him about again

#8 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

I THINK WE SHOULD ASK FOR OUR MONEY BAK !!!!!

#9 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

I THINK WE SHOULD ASK FOR OUR MONEY BAK !!!!!

Hi Kevin

Suppose that's the problem with buying books via the Net rather than a bookshop - at least you can leaf through it in a bookshop and decide not to buy it  >:(

Posted Image

#10 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Sadly this is what you get when people who know nothing about the industry decide they know better than the man who has made a damned fine job of it for years.

#11 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

From Martin Johns complaints to either or both of the following, mine already sent >:(

graeme.ringsell@intrafish.com

pk@intrafish.com

#12 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

the price did make me think twice about buying it but if it is as bad as sounds then i think they will end up giving them away free in glw lol (aye right lay off the vodka jj)
davie linkie has made the book along with help from a lot of ppl into what was a superb book and something you would be grateful of if you recieved it as a present
if they have cut out the under 10 section  then it cant have asmany pictures in it as previous

#13 Martin Johns

Martin Johns

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I received my copy yesterday & I was extremely dissapointed with it.
David Linkie has put an un-believable amount of work into developing the book in recent years to bring it up to the high standards that have been achieved prior to this year.
As has been said the format has been changed this year, A5 size, paperback, no editorial, No under 10m pictures, very condensed text that is virtually un-readable due to being so small & crammed onto the small pages with no divisions between lines.
All this & an unbelievable number of mistakes including most of the photos being credited in-correctly 
This year the price has increased from £65 to £75 too.
Like others, I would like to see the format returned to the previous high standard & the only way to do this is to e-mail those responsible at Intrafish to let them know our thoughts on either (or both) of the e-mail addresses Daz has listed above

#14 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Of course there is the alternative of the Fishing Industry Handbook for Britain & Ireland (Peter Brady) but it doesn't bode well that their web site is still under construction @ http://www.fishcom.co.uk/

#15 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Nice and subtle there John,  >:(, all the best for 2009 and keep up the fantastic work
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#16 Guest_John Baird_*

Guest_John Baird_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Many Happy Returns to you Baz and all the crew at TP. I, ve a few " crackers" lined up for 2009 . Keep this the TOP FISHING SITE ON THE NET ...  You,ve done a marvellous job ,
                                                                                            Good on ye Sham!!
                                                                                                                                           John >:(

#17 DMCMINN

DMCMINN

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

book is getting slated on "other website" as well , there are e mail adresses to send complaints to, a lot of people seem to feel ripped of this year,.

#18 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Best let Tim Oliver, the editor of Fishing News, know of your frustrations as well

tim.oliver@fishingnews.co.uk

#19 nicky l

nicky l

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

yeah it was a big let down. my poor mother buys me it every year for ma xmas. if its gonna be like that from now on ill tell her to save her hard earned. the only good point is that there is a photo of every over 12 boat although thats little consolence.

#20 Kevin Munro

Kevin Munro

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationElgin

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Just got mine this morning and i have to say its pretty poor, some photos are 5 years old, dave had supplied them with recent up to date photos but they werent used, just not the same book at all, its a shame for dave linkie aswell, the work he has put into the book in the years before to make it the standard it was, hopefully they can sort things out for the next edition.

tim.oliver@fishingnews.co.uk   again, for anybody wanting to make a complaint.

#21 Mark Mc Carthy

Mark Mc Carthy

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

I have emailed a few people in Intrafish notifying them that under no circumstances could we recommend this years FVBI in the Marine Times like we do every year - only for the fact that I got mine FOC I'd be looking for my money back. They have decimated what is an enjoyable annual read - and I dont care what any of them say .... they have shafted Dave by removing the editorial content. They have negated the years of hard work he has put into developing the FVBI - the new size and format is truly awful .... uncomprehensible at the best of times throughout the entire book. Utterly disappointing and devastating for Dave

#22 Gary Sutherland

Gary Sutherland

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationKinlochbervie

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Just look at the photo of the Doonhamer, B934, on page 337.

What muppet thought this was in any way of publishable quality?

There are a number of other boats without photos so why didn't they do the same with this one?
http://www.kinlochbervie.info
http://www.flickr.co...garysutherland/
http://www.berviephotographic.co.uk
Gary Sutherland reserves all rights with respect to photography published under this username.

#23 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hi All

Just out of interest, did anyone actually receive a reply from the Publisher?

#24 Manx Venture

Manx Venture

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPeel , Isle Of Man

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

after having the book since january i am not that happy that the pages have started to fall out allready and its not even been looked at that many times, the hard back was much better, the earlier years it was soft back the pages fell out aswell. the publishers should give control back to dave linkie who put so much time and effort into the book in past years to make the book what it was in 08, a good read and very intesting

#25 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Well some good news perhaps on this as reported in Fishing News - 09/10/09

1. Now sold to Shipping Publications AS
2. Future editions will be published by Maritime Info Ltd
3. Maritime Info Ltd is also to publish a Merchant Fleet edition for the UK and Ireland
4. There will be the usual database on CD and also an On Line Database.

#26 Gary Sutherland

Gary Sutherland

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationKinlochbervie

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:13 PM

Has anyone heard any more about the 2010 edition?

When it's out? Where to order? What it'll cost?
http://www.kinlochbervie.info
http://www.flickr.co...garysutherland/
http://www.berviephotographic.co.uk
Gary Sutherland reserves all rights with respect to photography published under this username.

#27 Martin Johns

Martin Johns

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

WTF !

Reply to this topic