39 replies to this topic

#31 Bob.YTS Skipper

Bob.YTS Skipper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

The job is not hooped as you say,there is a good future if we get some things sorted out.There are small prawns landed all round the coast and there are a holes everywhere too.You are well out of order wi ure comments the KY men are no more to blame than a lot of other places .I thought this site was about havin a bit of crack and getting the opinions of other guys about the job.If you think there is no future get out and leave it to those of us that want to be at it.If, that is you are even a fisherman.

#32 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

agree with you there Robert this has always been a survival at the fishing now the job is going thru a really tough time can we come out the other end i think so with some common sense and sensible practise's implemented not stupid rules and regs

#33 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:32 PM

i bob well said it will only make a diffrence wen they turn back the tails tat r over 80 jammy no £1 a stone or anytin dont take them simple as
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#34 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

if it takes that strict a measure

there is no perfect answer but there is a situation that needs addressed

100 mm catches poor stuff just the same as 80 in good weather
in poor days you see a difference everything that lands on the deck is keepable

#35 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

6 of one what we do, dos'nt matter if its 80 or 100mm or restrict the count to 80 whatever, ultimately its all up to the processors cos its they that accept and set the price for them 100+, brought it up at our PO meeting last week and there is very little that can be done as it is the processors who call the shots on this one.
Seemingly SFPA are very reticent to enforce minimum landing size as, believe this or not, because the tail is detatched from body therefore it will be hard to proove in a court of law what the carpace length was, mls is 25mm by the way

#36 armada

armada

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationVigo-Spain

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

This summer small prawns 70/100 pcs per kilo were paid for processing factories at a good price.
There is definetly suppliers from scotland which offer so tiny size for crazy paella mix. Italy is also buying them.
The thing s that for paella trays processors prefer to put 4 tiny prawns instead of 1 bigger size thats why they are paying so good those.
I have never seen so small prawns unles for the prepared paella mixes but at least never saw them fresh and nor frozen as well. 50/70 seems to me aready VERY small and when the local trawlers land here sizes of average 40 pcs per kilo but you can also get 10-20pc s in the middle, ther are getting paid for the whole thing many times less than 2 euros.
Regarding the 80/100mm mesh size. We did a try on the Great Sole and Porcupine banks to check the catches on tiny hakes and tiny megs and the difference was not very big. The only situation is that is easyer to work with the 80`s size sine is the one all trawlers use (included coastal ones), and the quantities of white octopus squid and flying squid are bigger.
Regarding bycatches and so. We all expect that they will change to days on sea and mesh sizes and that will be the best way to preserve the fishery everywhere. Days to work, areas to work, size of meshes and then catch all which is on net.
berbes_seafood@yahoo.es
all you need about Vigo please contact.
msn only: granarmada@hotmail.com

#37 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

anyone got any news on the move 2 80mm is it still going 2be the whole net or extention piece and bag

#38 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

i've read it twice but i still don't understand armada's post? he mentions prawn tails counting 70 to the kilo as being very small? now i know that in my day they were counted by the pound so that would be tails counting 30 to the pound, who would be landing tails at that size? whole prawns counting 70 to a kilo wouldn't even be classed as small, well not excessively so, is there a mix up in communication somewhere? if the weight is per kilo in all posts on the subject then even the mention of counts up to 160 would only be 60-70 to the pound, i'll assume its a mix up just so i don't go mad, if anyone is complaining about quality of tails counting 70 to the pound then theres something that my father would have said that they needed " a bloody good stervin!!!!"
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#39 Sweltered

Sweltered

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Tails counting 70 to the kilo, would come in at less than 32 to the lb. I spent 5 years on the quay in CN weighing prawns, and the average for the best boats was 70 - 85 to the lb. Of course there was the odd irishman, and the odd Trumptonite who was more acquaint with clams, who landed rice counting in the 110-120 to the lb range. I once saw Tom Kelly count a box of tails 6 times to get it under the maximum of 140, which yeilded ₤5 per stone. I defy anyone to defend getting a crew to tail 20stone of crap like that for ₤100. Best I ever saw was 18 to the lb, a "tails only friday", landed by Jamie Russell. It was the best "topped" box of tails I ever saw.
"Hanging is the outlaw's path to glory and much too good for the likes of you."

#40 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

well boys the end is near since friday last week our whole dropped £5 a stone whats next looks like vmc for the smaller boats now 2 but will days at sea matter this year will wee be out or tied 2 the pier or a 3or4day week what a mess

Reply to this topic