#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

From the BBC news site

larger trawlers from Scotland's east coast threaten this year's prawn quota in the Minch.
They fear the limit on catches will be reached earlier than normal and the fishery will be closed by September.

Western Isles Fishermen's Association said management measures should have been put in place to reduce the impact on smaller west coast crews.

The Scottish government said it was aware of the concerns.

Association secretary Duncan MacInnes said the government had not carried out a risk assessment on allowing larger vessels into the Minch.

The Scottish government said it was aware of industry concerns about "unusually intense" fishing off the west of Scotland and possible implications for the quota.

A spokesman said a lack of prawns in North Sea fishing grounds had caused some displacement of fishing activities into the west.

He said Marine Scotland was monitoring the situation carefully.

Marine Scotland has also agreed to take forward discussions with industry experts on any likely action to ease pressure on the quota.

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#2 ally

ally

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Soon as they hoover up West they will drift back East with no a care in the world Barry. Its just no right but if they have quota and are allowed ti fish West what can you do !!! Glad i'm away from all this noo bud.

#3 bfsanders

bfsanders

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

increase the quota,,simples

#4 frogman

frogman

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

More Quota  bigger greed  1 net for everyone is the answer

#5 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

View Postally, on 20 June 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Soon as they hoover up West they will drift back East with no a care in the world Barry. Its just no right but if they have quota and are allowed ti fish West what can you do !!! Glad i'm away from all this noo bud.
your a lucky man theres sum o us that was planning being here for a while yet :(
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#6 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postfrogman, on 24 June 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

More Quota  bigger greed  1 net for everyone is the answer
i wouldnt say that was just the answer as all that would happen is they would buy big scraper nets but there should be something done my boat is 40ft and i cant afford to tie up in sep or nov for that matter so god nos how a bigger boat would manage

#7 YoungHarry

YoungHarry

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Not really much,possibly OT, but..........   When I was a young lad, prawns were a regular occurrance in our household. No consolation to those fishing them, but in the 40's ( possibly war years) , no one wanted to know them. I often heard a tale from my mother of how tons of them were dumped at sea in those years.
The answer - ditch the EU, ban the foreigners from our waters, and bring back the volluntary code that existed years ago . The old fishermen of the north knew that to catch fish, you had to let them breed and avoid fishing them in the breeding season . My grandfather had a liking for crab claws. Bit cruel ,but he knew the crab would grow new ones, so he threw the crab back in under the pier ,to grow some .

#8 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

all in favour for young harry say hell yea O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

#9 YoungHarry

YoungHarry

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Lots of posters on here that knew OLD HARRY, AKA The Admiral. But blokes like this knew that to keep stocks ,you had to treat the sea like a farmer treats his fields. I'm only saying what he preached .

It's a shame that the work of these blokes has been wiped out by politicians

#10 ally

ally

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostAdoration II, on 05 July 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

your a lucky man theres sum o us that was planning being here for a while yet :(

Been at the fishin 35 year Rikki and never thought i'd do anythin else but ye canna knock yer pan in week in week out for nothin, it just disna add up i'm affraid.

#11 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

you goto do what you goto do looks like a four day week now bloody discrace if you ask me hours will be getting shorter as of next month how the f**k are us single riggers ment too survive with price of prawns coming down price o fuel will others ever think of the future of us all rather think of them selfs get a grip

#12 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

wasnt meaning u bud i mean the 1s that are out for themselfs

#13 ally

ally

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

No i ken ye wasna meaning me Rikki, as far i see the jobs a shambles and gettin worse hence why i decided ti get out, never thought i'd dee nithin else in my lifetime but fishin. Sorry for you guy's tryin ti scrape a living fin the bigger lads are gan all over  plundering the inshore stocks, far's it gan ti end bud ??

#14 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

god nos buddy just when u think things are getting better something else pops its head up but wee will keep struggling on

#15 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

when did you start taking the sensible pills Rik , you seemed to have OD'd on them lately bud
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

Reply to this topic