18 replies to this topic

#1 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

A question for the electronics salesmen out there....how come 5-7 inch satnavs are priced at less than a couple of hundred pounds,and in some cases less than a hundred,while 5-7 inch plotters are anything between 350 and 750 pounds,sometimes more? Now I know full well that I'm the world's biggest cynic,but as far as the manufacturers are concerned,the words "rip off" and "taking the piss" spring readily to my mind on this one.As for that good old "it's the marine version" chestnut...bollocks to that,it surely doesn't cost 3 grand plus for a 15 inch marine colour plotter when you can buy a 15 inch colour telly out of Argos for 90 quid.I somehow think that the great British buying public,especially the marine section,are getting well and truly shafted...tell me I'm wrong !!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#2 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

yer not wrang!  Its that magic word 'marine'.

Seem to remember bloggin about it a couple of years ago contemplating changing my surname to 'Marine Version'  then charge everyone 4 times as much for everything I do

#3 puddlejumper

puddlejumper

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Och och Ronnie after all these years have you not that "marine" means its splash proof which in turn justifys a massive hike in cost
And I'm glad that the modern plotters don't talk and tell you when to turn !!!!
Can just hear it stucK again on that grip do you never listen to anything I say  ;)

#4 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

I remember phoning some firm in England a good few years ago for a rev counter head for an 8LX and they asked if it was a marine or an auto one that I was after.I said marine initially 'til they told me how much more it would cost and what price the auto one was...it wasnae double the price,but it was nearly three quarters more.When I asked them what the difference was they said the marine version was varnished on the back.That was a new one on me,never heard of that before,needless to say I ordered the auto one!

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#5 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

surprised it was only three quarters more.  lancing marine - starter motor, ford lehman 2715e £499 plus vat  Local tractor engineers ford industrial 2715e starter motor - £89 plus vat

the difference....   the tractor guys reckon more varnish and a squirt of WD40 on the inside

#6 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

The other good one was alternators Mark.A pukka 35 amp marine job was several hundreds...the old man,god rest the old bugger,never one to spend money needlessly,used to take his up to the wee local auto parts shop where a very nice man would do him a service exchange for 35 quid.I believe the marine version has more diodes(9 as opposed to 7 is it?) than the auto one,and at times it needed a wee burst of revs to start it charging,but that apart,I never noticed any difference whatsoever.

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

aye,  there's a 'proper' autodeisel place not half a mile from the boat.  the sorta place that looks like the black hole of calcutta but they can and actual do repair things.  they traced the original Lucas part number and cross referenced our alternator - again lancing marine - 200 plus vat.  the actual alternator itself is the exact same one used on a mark 3 ford fiesta - 20 quid

#8 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Aye Mark,when ye come up against some of the bare faced robbery and ripoffery that goes on out there ye feel like saying to them "my name's Willy Hunt,no silly *unt" !!

#9 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

all that money yehve been secretly saving on all this stuff you`ll be fit to give glasgows second finest a bit of a dig out with their tax bill!
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#10 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

View Postrestlesswave, on 06 February 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

all that money yehve been secretly saving on all this stuff you`ll be fit to give glasgows second finest a bit of a dig out with their tax bill!
Dont tell me the Timothys were at it as well Frankie :crap: ;D
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#11 westword

westword

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

ripoffery :smiley2:   love it ronnie,, think ats a new yin for wickapedia  ,,   :laugh:
KILL EM ALL, LET GOD SORT EM OOT.

#12 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

naw you need to go to specsavers willie beedie-its not the tims-i said second best.... and after your lots performance the last day second best is now maryhills blind institute `B` team........ O0
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#13 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

As a bluenose I shouldnae really say this Frankie,I'll get strung up (mind you,I aye wanted tae be well hung lol) but that's a cracker...11 oota 10 for it !!

#14 pierman

pierman

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

it also boils down to the fact that all fishermen are rich.. and like the wafis. can afford it.  lol.
they see mackerell boats landing million pound shots.
a twin rigger in fraserburgh with £40,000. landings for a trip.
amity getting 10s of thousand pounds refit.
so same as the fish/prawn buyers price trebled for them.

#15 3762dazzer

3762dazzer

Mate

• Moderators
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast Cornwall

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Perhaps you could furnish us with the hourly rate that the crew might make, I'll be guessing considerably less than a checkout technician ^-^

#16 pierman

pierman

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

dazzer it would depend if the crew was local or filo.
filo hourly rate appx.£1 an hour for a 10 day trip.    
local be on considerably more at appx. £5. an hour.
checkout technician be on,appx.£7-£8. an hour. pretty hazardous dangerous job stacking shelves, hence the big wages.

#17 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

christ if your offerin £5 per hour pierman where can i get a job on your boat to make me rich yes there are some rich fishermen but most i no are not

any jobs goin

#18 forepeak

forepeak

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

fishermen are not on an hourly rate anyway.
would not like to work it out some poor weeks, prob be less than the filos.

#19 pierman

pierman

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

jammy i think youve picked me up wrong.
if you read  my first sentence again. all fishermen are rich and like the waffis can afford it... then theres a   lol.
as you know means have a loud laugh.  aye right fishermen as rich as waffis?

i mebey could of put it better,
as for the fiver an hour, if a crewmember is not getting that i would think the boat would be going astern.
im talking about a 5 day at sea reasonable fishing for that.

Reply to this topic