#1 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

From www.fishnewseu.com

A SCOTS MEP has issued a call for feedback from the fishing industry on the final draft of his report to the European Commission on a key section of Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) reform.

Struan Stevenson is seeking the views of industry stakeholders, including fishermen, processors, producer organisations, fish farmers, retailers and auctioneers on the document, the recommendations of which will lead to crucial reform of the Common Organisation of the Market (CMO) in fisheries and aquaculture products across the EU.

Speaking from Brussels, he said: “My proposed amendments to the European Commission’s draft CFP regulations are designed to give the Common Organisation of the Market greater scope for action in the face of the current crisis facing our fishing sector. Right now its intervention mechanisms and the funding allocated to them are complex and lacking flexibility and the situation needs radical improvement.

“The proposals in my report involve a host of measures to make the CMO more effective. All of these measures, compiled following extensive discussions with key stakeholders and industry groups across Europe, are focused on enabling producer organisations to function better in their responsibility for regulating the activity of their members in a way that benefits the whole market.

“At the end of the day, we must ensure that the reform of the CFP reflects the views and interests of the fishing industry across the UK. That is why I am calling on interested industry parties throughout the country to get in touch to have their say on the content of my report.”

The report is divided into 12 sections, making recommendations to the European Commission on the following areas:

1.   The role of producer organisations (POs) in the day-to-day management of fisheries under a regionalised system;

2.   Safeguarding the interests of local fishermen under a system of Transferable Fishing Concessions (TFCs);

3.   The creation of POs, aquaculture POs, inter-branch organisations, transnational POs and associations of POs;

4.   The role of POs in handling the proposed ban on discards;

5.   Utilising modern technology to improve market intelligence;

6.   The introduction of a single storage mechanism as the only system of market intervention;

7.   Rewarding sustainable fishing with an EU eco-label;

8.   Consumer information on labels;

9.   Maintaining a level playing-field between EU fisheries products and products imported from outside the EU;

10. Marketing standards;

11. The role of the CMO in the expansion of a successful EU fish-farming sector;

12. The role of Regional Advisory Councils.

Those wishing to view Struan’s ‘Proposals for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the common organisation of the market’s in fishery and aquaculture products’ can visit: http://www.struanste...icy_CMO_Reform/

Responses to the report should be emailed to struan.stevenson@europarl.europa.eubefore February 16.

I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

Reply to this topic