Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Like many of us, I've been eagerly awaiting the revamped Trawler Pictures
I'm sorry, but I am disappointed
A starter pack of squitty images set the warning bells ringing for me
What had been a delightfully easy site to pick through compared with most (including a certain other fishing vessel site), this one has just taken a big step BACKWARDS
I realise that folk put a lot of their own and valuable time into ensuring the smooth running of TP, But I'm presuming that the redesign was done by a web designer and was paid for
Was it? If so then you need to serious question its functionality, etc, etc
Since I sold out of my last boat in 85 and departed Seafish in 1989, I've mostly focused on marine and energy journalism. A website that I'm responsible for as its editor has just been put through its third rebuild and the outcome still ain't right
I use a lot of sites as a matter of course during my work and, seriously, TP was a delight to use
Someone actually got it somewhere near right first time around!
However, this morning, I find myself struggling
Perhaps there are teething troubles ... I'd be surprised if there aren't
However, that doesn't change the basics
Sorry, but that's how I see it
Best toall
Jay
or

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the input Jay, the layout will develop over time, we are still setting up the permissions and trying to get the errors sorted out, so please bear with us as all of us are running the site in our spare time
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 Jay Cresswell

Jay Cresswell

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Barry
I'm trying to be constructive, not bloody-minded and difficult
And I really do appreciate the problems of making a website work ... it's hard, very hard
But, like a newspaper, your front page and pages "two and three" are incredibly important
And if something ain't broke, we should avoid trying to fix it ... and we're all prone to doing that
Whether you realised it or not, while the prior Front page wasn't brilliant, it was perfectly OK
Page two and page three were great ... new pix gallery well set up and pix most recently commented on also well set up
They were a delight to use
I think you need to recover that aspect  
I wish you well with the rebuild ...
Jay

#4 rudder

rudder

Deckie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

my main grievance is the thumbnails, theyre literally that. i cant even make out what some of them are .
the worst ones are on the global album part theyd be as well not there i cant make them out.
realise your all doing a good job,hope the end result is worth it.
no need for any specsaver cracks from anyone, i didnt need specsavers to view the old site.

#5 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

sure we will Jay, just takes time unfortunately, breaking eggs to make omelettes, also quite happy to have constructive input as it will make the site better
All the best
Barry

#6 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

View Postrudder, on 26 December 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

my main grievance is the thumbnails, theyre literally that. i cant even make out what some of them are .
the worst ones are on the global album part theyd be as well not there i cant make them out.
realise your all doing a good job,hope the end result is worth it.
no need for any specsaver cracks from anyone, i didnt need specsavers to view the old site.

They will get bigger rudder I promise

#7 rudder

rudder

Deckie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

cheers barry,no need to buy new specs then.lol
have a happy new year when it comes.
just saw easter eggs in the shop 5 mins. ago. the small ones 2 for a pound..........

#8 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

One of the biggest issues with the old site was, that it was an open source system that was a few years out of date - what all the member on here didn't get to see was the several hundred bogus spam sign ups each and every day that admin had to sift through one by one to work out who was a genuine new member and who wasn't.  Thats a lot of hours everyday, just to keep it clean and running.  Technology wise, the old site was also at pretty much a dead end in many ways as to where it could go int he future.  If it didn't move to something with a future of decelopment, then it would have never moved, and ultimately the roles would reverse and it would then be 'That old site that can't do, x, y  and z'

Things have moved on so much that to get from there to here has in itself been a huge undertaking, tens of thousands of images, comments, threads, members, avatars etc all to be converted and put back in order

so, we've built the building, next we have to decorate and move the furniture in which is where we will get back to the simplicity and useability of parts of the old site.

folks don't always like change, but I'm pretty convinced that once things are back in order and people see how this all works and the new capabilities that come with it that the old site will soon be forgotten

so this is the mark 3 version, I seem to remember similar discussions when we went from mark 1 to mark 2

if anyone want to go back and have a look at mark one .........

http://web.archive.o...erpictures.net/

#9 Hearrach

Hearrach

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Am finding it slow and difficult to navigate.
Hoping it will improve for me.
All the best

#10 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

Think we can say all the above has been solved and a few more changes to be made, i.e having the recent comments going back in pages allowing members to go back and also the same with the recently uploaded ones

#11 mack rill

mack rill

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

seem to be getting the hang of it now but dont see if someones on line used to be able to tell and you could basically get a quick answer for a query or a bit of slagging if you like!! maybe its here but i canna see it :'(

#12 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

still there,down the bottom of the forum, click on the "see full list" button and it'll pop up with what they are doing online

#13 mack rill

mack rill

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

cheers barry

#14 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

and underneath that, you should see a list of the members that are in the chat room

#15 mack rill

mack rill

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

cheers found that as well just noticed the day that there is only a list of 10 or 12 recent comment photos cant seem to be able to look at earlier comments made even from this morning maybe its jist me :idiot2:

#16 rudder

rudder

Deckie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

mack rill go onto forums.
youll see a sign saying administrators.
above that is a small arrow for moving comments along.
other arrow at other side brings older comments along.
the last comment is on 1st. jan.
cheers.

#17 mack rill

mack rill

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

cheers rudder, bit more complicated than the old site, you just clicked on the next page O0

Reply to this topic