this new site design is a load of shite!!!

shite!!!

59 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_biscuitman_*

Guest_biscuitman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

is it just me or does anybody else think this site update is a load of shite??????

#2 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Why dont you actually give us time to finish the upgrade, you ungrateful halfwit, the amount of time and effort put in to doing it, obviously is right above your head, now do one mate
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#3 BowTow

BowTow

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

now now Barry temper temper it's not good for stress levels!
how long will the upgrade take?

#4 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

thanks for the vote of confidence whoever you are.  maybe we should just turn everything off and leave you all in the dark till its done

there's 40000 pics to be converted, its about 2 thirds of the way through them at the mo

plus the hundreds of thousands of posts.

the old board was a magnet for spammers among other things, admin having to spend a lot of time, every day going through hundreds of spam sign ups and deleting them

this board has a huge range of new features, is faster, will integrate with loads of other things that folks use day to day, we can let you have chat facilities if you behave, tie in with facebook, twitter and the gallery when its done is years ahead of anything else you'll find out there.

#5 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

keep up the good work ,if you keep jj away from the technical side youll no need a nightshift !!!!!!!!!!!!!! O0

#6 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

Can't access gallery, keeps giving error message.

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

View Postjohntar tt10, on 13 December 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Can't access gallery, keeps giving error message.

that'll be because we've still got the gallery turned off until it has finished converting all the images - nigh on 40,000 images to convert and the convertor has been running since yesterday, currently telling me it has converted 32,000 of the images so some time later today when its done we'll turn the gallery back on!

#8 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

just turned the gallery on.  at the moment its mostly read only - we still the permissions on 450 galleries and loads of user groups to set up

#9 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Aye but eddie i am back now so one small button psh and i could bugger the whole lot up hahaha best i go out for the day maybes

#10 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

just hidden the hammers from jammy!

#11 Paul D

Paul D

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

How long before it's up and running? It's taken me 2 days to sign in. I don't want to appear rude but what was wrong with the old site (apart from spammers?) This at the moment doesn't seem as user friendly

#12 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

spammers were a huge problem paul yes the old look we had was good and easy to use, but software was out of date and thus causing a few problems more than we wanted, like everything times change and we hope the members will get to like this new look and features we have hopefully incorporated
the site went offline on sun night and was running briefly inbetween then and now earlier today the server decided to throw a wobbler so hopefully mark h (mark hardy) has managed to get us up and running again the gallery is not fully working yet but we're working on it if you have any problems please let us know and we can hopefully sort them out
thanks for everybodys paitence

#13 Little bud

Little bud

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

View PostBarry McCrindle, on 12 December 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

Why dont you actually give us time to finish the upgrade, you ungrateful halfwit, the amount of time and effort put in to doing it, obviously is right above your head, now do one mate

Now that’s setting a good example, and you have the nerve to delete my posting last week on twin rigging, seems like we have a two sets of rules! My post was no not rude it was Tung & cheek but seen as I have known Kevin and Billy for over twenty year i think it was ok to post that comment  

#14 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

little bud what picture was it you posted on and what was in the comment ?? knowing kevin and billy myself personally and few of the other boys from that side of the country we know that you lot like to take the mickey out of each other and very rarely do we interefere unless there was excessive swearing then the post shouldstill be there

#15 Little bud

Little bud

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

Hi Jammy thanks for the quick response and interest to my query.  I did not post a picture; I replied to a comment, the picture was of a red Irish twin rigger i believe laid in north shields. I have known Kevin and Billy for a long time and saw no harm in posting what i did only to have it removed with no explanation as to why it was removed or who removed it

Kind Regards Lb

#16 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

i was thinking it was that picture lb the one of the boat the bonafide the picture had been on for over a year now and billy kevin few of the boys had been posting on it billy liking to have his moan but hey everybody can get that way lol
bear with us lb i will look up the pic and see what i can find were having a few glitches here just now but give us a chance to see what happend to the coments

#17 Paul D

Paul D

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the reply Jammy, no doubt I'll find my way round the site (in time). Good luck with the upgrade the site was a big miss when offline

#18 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

just a quick update to explain the yo yo nature of things at the moment.  We also had some major server issues occur just after the upgrade so are now also upgrading the server hardware itself.  Likely to dissappear for a few hours again later, but when its back the new server is a much more powerful machine so so things should be a lot quicker, and and we will have enough storage space for several hundred thousands more pics and posts

bear with us people - we're nearly there!

#19 billy01dial

billy01dial

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Jammy with reference to your comment about having a moan its a pity the concept of the moan wasnt taken seriously as a few would agree but hey never mind kevin  will keep you amusedand just for the record you probably not noticed but before you and ya buddys decided to UP GRADE the site i deleted all my comments on the pic of the BONAFIDE if you care to look but hey thats fine if you wanna call it moaning i cudnt give a shite  good luck with the new image

#20 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

We all can have a good rant billy no harm intended pal

#21 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Just for an up-date we are being let down slightly by our hosting company completely out of our control unfortunately, they are taking far longer than they said to change us to our new upgraded server, it is as annoying to us as it is you so please bear with us
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#22 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

Light a fire under the hosting company Barry and tell them to get a move on,I'm getting withdrawal symptoms here lol !! Just have to be patient,I'm sure the end result will be well worth the wait and not "a load of shite" as one of our members seems to think.Without wishing to sound a crawler,the majority of us appreciate the time and effort that gets put into the site,cheers guys.

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#23 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

whats this aboot assassins ? maist  couldn't find their ain ass-as-in their erchie, i'm sure the site will be wonderful once operating normally, the miracle is how many times it has outgrown itself in three years, as well as one or two of the original homeless waifs and strays who'd been cast adrift by another place, i've even got it written in my will that my wife has to try and sign me on there just to see how set in stone that "for life" ban actually is ? now i'll get back under that hill again until such time as the CFP is abolished and you are all free to fish like an icelandic purser.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#24 bryan DE127

bryan DE127

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Its like waiting for santa comming and it will be just like the big day a big surprise when the new gallary gets going.aye QW I thought I was baned as weel the job I had getting log back on lol.

#25 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

i got on no bother as i was looking for info after getting a threatening anon. phonecall this afternoon asking if i was QW ? seeing as i've only ever used that name on two places and i was banned from one of them over four years ago the caller could only have got me via here, which he couldn't do by himself as he still wouldn't know my name, a bit too much work for someone to then withhold their number after saying "do you know who i am ? well you soon will!"  must be a slow reader as i haven't posted anything in nearly a year and its even longer since i last insulted anyone ? wouldn't mind but the wife had her "guilty till proven innocent" look on her face while she listened in to the call, spoiled my afternoon doss so it did, especially when she said "have you been posting anything about the new days at sea rules ?" my ranting is reserved for the kitchen or shouting at the telly these days, besides, i know what santa is bringing me, a trip to the isle of wight in june to see tom petty and bruce springsteen, might even get time to go and have a look at the old boat thats lying in southampton now.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#26 carle

carle

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationnorthumberland near the sea

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

happy xmas to all members
seahouses

#27 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

we're nearly there folks. finally got the new server.  in the process of transferring everything between servers, next couple of days the switch over should be finally complete.  The new board and gallery software is much more powerful than the old and demands a lot more processing power which has been one of the problems - bit like trying to run the very latest photoshop on a 5 year old machine with limited memory.  The spammer problem from the old board has also had a hand to play.  we discovered on saturday that the spambot that affected the old board was trying to crack this one and was making hundreds of requests to the server simultaneously - all of which were dragging it down if we had the gallery turned on at the same time.  The New gallery is about as cutting edge as it gets.  anyone familiar with Flickr will recognise a lot of the features straightaway - multiple image view sizes, ability to add notes to images etc, and anyone used to facebook will recognise a lot of the other features for liking/sharing/tagging content and chatting to folks.  plenty more little surprise features to be discovered!

Its been a long hard week trying to keep it going while trying to get it all together.  we didn't just want to stick a closed for the duration sign on the front door, hence why the forum has been left going.

The hsoting company are supposed to be putting a load more RAM in this new server on monday morning at which point we'll make the switch over and the gallery and everything will be opened back up

The santa theme was nowt to do with me though!

#28 Will taylor

Will taylor

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationFife

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

It must be damn hard being an administrator during this transfer/update. For those who experience a glitch wi their laptop or pc, think how much effort that takes to put right.  Here we have a website that is striving for improvement and to provide a better service for everyone.  In this modern age, we just press a button and what we want appears instantaneously.  I think our angers and frustrations would serve us better if we target the things that really screw our lives up. Want some ideas?  How about Westminster or Brussels, fishing quotas, the stuff that demoralises, disappoints and drives us to the doctor.  I think we should all get things in perspective and appreciate the stuff that brings us pleasure.
Yes, I'm disappointed with the delay too but there is light at the end of the tunnel.  It is NOT another train.
Will
Where there's a will there's a way.

#29 Hugh Paterson

Hugh Paterson

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationWeegie

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

keep plodding away boys its the suspense of waiting for another Xmas present thats killing us har har
Shugster

#30 homeward bound

homeward bound

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

are you sure jammy isnae pressing buttons ? :smiley2: :smiley2:

Reply to this topic