markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

it comes from this: http://www.scotland....061/0073688.pdf

ok, a bit long and mind numbing to read, but this bit:

Monitoring of Recreational Fisheries Article 47

a, Recreational fisheries on a vessel in Community waters on a stock subject to a multiannual plan shall be subject to an authorisation for that vessel issued by the flag Member State.

b, Catches in recreational fisheries on stocks subject to a multiannual plan shall be registered by the flag Member State.

c, Catches of species subject to a multiannual plan by recreational fisheries shall be counted against the relevant quotas of the flag Member State. The Member States concerned shall establish a share from such quotas to be used exclusively for the purpose of recreational fisheries.

d, The marketing of catches from a recreational fishery shall be prohibited except for philanthropic purposes.

Pretty sure that means that the quotas will have to be shared by both the commercial sector and RSA's (Recreational Sea Anglers) (c, above)

How the feck is that going to work then??

fish caught by private individuals, on rod & line or whatever, get tallied up and included in the total quota set to a country??

Can't see either party being too chuffed about that.  Commercial sector effectively having their quota whittled away because of the activities of anglers   ... and then total closure once the quota is achieved is gonna pish the Anglers off (who'll no doubt blame the commercials)

madness!

#2 Jammy

Jammy

happy new year to all

• Administrators
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDUNURE

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

oh well that will just be about the same as trawlers and creelers arguing about fishing areas mark  :>:( ::)

#3 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

won't be a joke if they set aside 5,000 ton or something equally stupid for the anglers, what about all those boats that take anglers out, do the fish count against the angler or the boat? and what about the fish? if the anglers don't want to take them home does the boat owner have to dump them or give them away? no more selling them to that sea side bistro, enviromentally friendly rod caught bass and suchlike, how will rick stein look himself in the eye now? getting his fish for free as he can't buy them or rather the rod catching boat owner can't sell them?

did i manage to make that sound as if i cared? anyone catching anything in this neck of the woods other than a mackeral off the end of the quay during the summer would get a medal!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#4 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

i got a cod yesterday
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

Hi Mark

One thing does immediately spring to mind - the 'authorities' have enough difficulty in administering/enforcing current legislation, how on earth are they going to do the same for the numbers of 'private' boats that take anglers out?

Tell me how they would enforce this piece of nonsense - The marketing of catches from a recreational fishery would be prohibited except for "philanthropic" purposes.

#6 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

i got a cod yesterday

So did I, came with a load of chips as well  ;D

#7 Barry McCrindle

Barry McCrindle

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAyrshire

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:32 AM

http://www.fishnewse...ea-anglers.html
-
I always see both sides of the argument, the one that's wrong and mine.....

#8 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

theres a first, nice to see they are consulting the anglers beforehand, they've never thought to do that with fishermen!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#9 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Anglers representatives' have shot themselves in the foot a bit here I reckon.  When a sea angling licence was mooted 2 years back, they bounced up and down claiming there were something like 2 million RSA's in this country

so the EU will not turn round and use those figures to estimate the total catch of RSA's.  Go to one of the big angling competitions, collect the weigh in results, multiply by 2 million and there you go.  The fact that a comp will be attended by the tiny majority of anglers that actually make a decent catch, won't factor in, they'll just assume all anglers catch that much on  daily basis

so our seas get closed to us, and the rest of the EU get to come here and fill there boots.

Makes my piss boil, it really does

#10 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi All

This seems to be the answer to how any 'enforcement' when it comes to anglers could be handled - see:

http://www.iphonesta...h-gone-fishing/

Well it made me smile at least  :)

#11 sam

sam

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Well it's a better idea than anyone at the EU will ever come up with. No doubt that the anglers quota will come out of the already pitifully small quota given to under 10s. It's not like anglers make much of an impact anyway, it's piling misery on more people, even if some of them deserve it.

Reply to this topic