9 replies to this topic

#1 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

My acer aspire 5536 laptop has given me a warning saying that there is a problem with my battery and should consider replacing it.Anyone got any ideas what might be the problem as the laptop is only 10 months old and has ran with out a hitch since it was bought. If i do end up needing to replace the battery anyone got some ideas where i might get one ?
Cheers
Knoxy

#2 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

Sometimes batteries have built in safety features which if not charged soon enough  it will refuse to charge again Euan , contact Acer as batteries are usually guaranteed for a year whereas the laptop is two years , this happened t the wifes laptop and the maker asked for he lot to be sent to them to check then sent it back with a new one ,try the web site as the might also arrange pick up O0
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#3 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

it was fine before i went away on holiday and the laptop sat for over 2 weeks but was still fully charged when i got back and then once i tried to charge it after a few hours of use yesterday it wouldnt charge and had to be plugged in all the time bit of a nuisance. will take it up to pc world tomorrow got the gold insurance out with them so hopefully they will be able to fix it. just looked on acer website and it says if it was bought from currys,pcworld or dixons then all support is instore

#4 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Don't take any BS from the Store - get them to give you a NEW battery - should last longer than 10 months!

Let us know how you get on Euan  O0

#5 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Will do steve thats one thing i take from my dad dont let anything drop no matter how small as folk that ken ma father will ken he is a tight arse lol.

#6 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Quick up date been to PC World and they say there is only a max of 6 month warranty on battery's and its not covered under the premium insurance. Battery has not locked in position from day one and is going to get sent away to see if they can get that fixed and hopefully they will replace the battery in the process if not then its going to be 77 quid for a new one.

#7 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

Quick up date been to PC World and they say there is only a max of 6 month warranty on battery's and its not covered under the premium insurance. Battery has not locked in position from day one and is going to get sent away to see if they can get that fixed and hopefully they will replace the battery in the process if not then its going to be 77 quid for a new one.

or £46!

http://www.power-bat...?ref=82960-3652

#8 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

at least now i know where to get one cheaper if need be. cheers mark

#9 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

I think they are havering Knoxy, I would contact Acer themselves and see what they say ,I did that with Asus and they said 12 month for the battery and 24 months for the laptop, tell them their customer service is shite and other companies offer better but a battery should last longer  longer than a year and one thing that has happened in the last few years is that the consumer service authority has stated is that goods have to last longer at to repair them if not in undue time
EC law dictates an item must last a reasonable amount of time. Basically a £10 toaster, ok a year or 2 used every day but TV generally 5 - 6 years. Pop over to trading standards website.

Faulty goods

The following are guidelines for all goods ordered for delivery. For Collect@Store items, please see the in-store returns policy.

Wherever possible we will respond to your individual circumstances.

If there is a fault with your product within the applicable product guarantee period (normally 12 months from delivery) or other defect with your order, we will normally offer a prompt repair service. You will always have the option of an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 28 days of delivery. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be:

* in otherwise 'as new' condition
   * complete with any accessories and free gifts offered with it

if possible, with the original box and packaging

If a DVD, CD, or software item is faulty under guarantee we will happily exchange it for the same title or offer a refund.

You can either return the product to a PC World store or phone Aftersales on 0844 561 0000 to arrange a collection. Aftersales is open from 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday. Any refund due to a fault or other defect will include a refund of the applicable delivery charge paid (if any). In these cases, we will also pay for our costs of collecting goods if they are not taken into a store. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery. If a fault occurs while you are abroad, please contact us to discuss how we can assist.

This promise does not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear. Consumable items, such as non-rechargeable batteries and ink cartridges are covered by guarantee for 3 months after delivery.

Items sold on this website are generally intended for normal domestic and consumer use and not for resale or commercial use. If we arrange to collect goods from you it will be at our cost.

THIS RETURNS POLICY DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. DETAILS OF YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM TRADING STANDARDS OR CONSUMER DIRECT.

http://www.pcworld.c...ns.html#ancor16
Only mentions on rechargable batteries ,,get back onto them  O0 or tell them your are going to trading standards and one of the Sunday papers consumer pages ie the Judge in the Sunday Mail or the one in the Sunday Post
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#10 Young Knoxy

Young Knoxy

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAYR, SCOTLAND

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:04 AM

My dad should be back from the boat tomorrow hopefully and i will let him give them a verbal earbashing and then if we dont get anywhere it will be the papers (not the first time either) and trading standards

Reply to this topic