#31 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

take the same tack as that one with yachts if i have the gear down-regardless of what light theyre showing-yachts seem to think they have always the right of way just because they are sailing- one local yottie that took umbrage when i wouldnt cede him right of way whilst i was towing told me to go away and read the rules of the road!-lucky enough i had an audience at the time-he was politely told that while it was certainly true that a fishing boat has to stand off to a sailing boat-a sailing boat has to stand of for a boat restricted in its ability to manouevre. then he was very unpolitely told to f*** off out of my sight and not to let me catch him out in a boat till he had digested the rules of the road as he was only a danger to himself and every body else at sea- he went away up the pier  a very small boy lol!
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#32 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationbetween the hills and the high water mark.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

likewise, this one wasn't for even hailing me to ask polite like that i alter for him, which i would have if asked early enough, oh no, he was just rying to get as close to the edge of the hard with his two nets which meant putting me on top of it, i just kept my course and eyeballed him out the window till eventually he hailed me to complain that if i didn't alter away from him he would be forced to cant and risk fouling his doors and gear, i just told him i wasn't going onto the hard which was a 100% fast and damage, for nobody and he had two choices, cant away from me and take the risk of twisting his doors or keep going the way he was going and have me either take his bow off with my big heavy steel boat (we were of a size lengthwise so i was bigger than him) or failing that, i'd probably get a grip of his gear as we passed and i'd put the handle down and tow him all the way to Campbeltown, he altered course and no he didn't twist his doors as i knew he wouldn't, he just wanted to be where i was and thought i'd be a mug and get out his road. i've discussed this person with one or two others as i suspected he may be a member on another place, tho not here, well not by the same name anyway!!!
as my old man used to say at the end of giving someone a row on the VHF, "COMEBACK!!!" which meant, its your turn to speak but if you know whats good for you silence is a better option. tho being 50% carradale myself ? thats the awkward half. i'm only half daft.

had the same thing happen RW only the yacht refused to listen to sense, he hadn't even a sail up at the time!!! he passed within four feet of us and as he was square with back end of the shelter the uncle came up out of the engine room and emptied the can over the rail!!! it wasn't even planned, he'd just been having a crap and the way the wind was, it was the obvious rail to dump the can over, the look on the faces of the two wimmin that were aboard the yacht was priceless, the uncle only saw the yacht after he'd tipped the can, "aye, its a fine day for a sail" he said to the wimmin casual as anything, my ribs were sore for days, we'd just burst out laughing whenever one of us caught the others eye and we'd nod in the uncle's direction, worse still when we went into gigha that night the yacht was moored at the south end of the pier, the uncle has a brain that instantly blocks out such things and happily blethered away to the folk on the yacht for ages, you could see their faces silently pleading with him to go away, while trying to maintain a polite exterior. " please don't talk to me, i've just seen your excrement!!!!" his habit of sticking a finger over one nostril to clear rhe other with a snort made it worse, not big on social graces is uncle douglas!!!!!
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#33 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hence the acronym WAFIs Wind  Assisted Fecking Idiots Morris a law unto them selves
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

#34 restlesswave

restlesswave

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationthe rosses,co.donegal

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

had another daft one pulled on me by another old time local skipper. one fri morning,last tow of the trip i was crossed quite close being shown the green light. i assume he heard me on the radio and figured i wouldn`t know the difference-but he misjudged my speed and the distance-after he got just across me-i altered hard for his stern and shoved the lever down!- next thing i seen was a stream of black smoke from his kelvin-i was going to take the bag off his net-and he knew it-he must of cleared my doors by inches! anyway the aforementioned bright spark had the cheek to complain to my skipper about the terrible trick i done to him on stanton-well i was straight up on the pier where he had his gear stretched that the next time it wouldnt be the net i would be after-i would take the stern of his boat- to which he replied-you bl***y would and all- i said aye and never forget it.
bend it,and if you can`t bend it,break it.

#35 young ronnie

young ronnie

Deckie

• Moderators
  • 0 posts
  • Locationoban

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

I don't think they realise that they're putting their yachts in danger.I stood one day with the throttle in my hand while towing and eventually pulled it back at the very last gasp as a yottie slipped over my bow. He gave me a big smile an a wave as he passed by and hadn't a clue that what he was doing was highly dangerous to say the least.If I hadn't slowed I would have hit him slap bang in the middle....and the bloody worst of it was I didnae give him a feckin' good bollocking...I was too gobsmacked to think about it !

Some learn by reading,some ask questions,others observe...but there's always one who has to pee on an electric fence for himself.

#36 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

well few weeks back had near miss with 1 up river poor nite boatin gear head into wind hoppers fleain every where were jammin on roller at stern next thing the young fla shouted yacht going 2 hit us 2ft of her stem just missed us he was doing about 7or8 kt would a made right mess o us  c u next tues 2be sure he got a good mouth full river is wicked  them coming close 2 u wen ur swinging about off wrecks and ground cn loch used 2 be terrible 2 mind 1 night wee near hit a certain doc ull no who qw
Mr Richard JohnstonEEEEEEEEE Jnr

Sure its a grand oul team ti play for

#37 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:24 AM

oh i do, got a better one than that, a certain well known solicitor from the left hand side of the castlehill, you know the one, left here to cross atlantic and asked to be put ashore in the south of ireland, never even made biscay!!!, long time lifeboat member too, and i'm naw meaning johnny S. swung his yacht, tacked right across my bow while we were steaming up the loch, so i went after him, chased him roon the loch, pulled alongside him and threw her oota gear, went oot onto the whaleback and pointed at the bow of the boat and told him "you ever do that on me again and i'll go right over the top of you, i won't even feel you disintigrate into matchstick sized pieces, except for you ya big useless streak of piss, i might need to check astern a time or two to blow your carcase oot thru the kort nozzel"  any doubt about his stupidity was confirmed when he reported the matter to the harbour master, he got halfway thru his opening sentence when i stopped him by , well he thought i was changing the subject, i asked him if he knew where the famous american author mark twain got his name from? this puzzled him, no, he said, so i told him that on the river boats on the likes of the mississippi there were lots of sandbanks so there was always a crew member on the bow with a leadline to check the depth, "mark twain" or "two marks, two fathoms" meant 12 foot of water below the bow of the paddle steamer, i could see he was puzzled as to why i was telling him this so i put him out of his misery and told him we drew nine foot six, and if it was to start on about **** ********** and his feckin yacht that he had come to see me about, i'd tie a length of rope roon his feckin ankles and dangle him ower the bow while we went roon to the inner herbour to moor up, if we got "willie twain!!!" then we'd know we needed another foot of water under us or we'd take the bottom, now throw that head rope off then feck off, and retired to my wheelhouse, it was the brother inlaw and the uncle that were the crew, they were next to useless when it came to bating officialdom, sweltered and me and the cousin had mair fun, tag teaming him till you could see the steam coming oot his ears. how i didn't get that assistant harbour master job two years ago i'll never know? i should maybe get myself a few breach of the peace convictions seeing as i wasn't qualified enough, which here translates as who cares what qualifications you have or how long you were a fisherman, you're not on the lifeboat, despite the fact that by law they had to give me an interview even if i had never even seen a boat and couldn't swim, disability laws, i was going to take them to court but the wife told me i was only kidding myself, if they'd given me the job i'd have lasted a month before having to take six months off to recover. funny that, two law firms, two yachtie lawyers, two cox's of the local lifeboat, i know which one i'd rather was in command if i was in the water, aye davie cox, ha ha, he's naw either oh them, naw johnny stewart wid be safe enough, he winna jump ship on poor micheal only three days oots the toon on the way to the canaries, still they'll manage another 20st of supplies for the crossing noo, two weeks today i think they set off from the canaries, they'll manage another hunner gallons of water too once they offload all the gin and tonic water that the deserter or should that be desserter had stowed aboard.
And their teeth will be blunted like lions and they will be cast away on whirlwinds and such!!!!

#38 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:39 AM

pmsl christ ur good

#39 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

wait till i get my red pumas on, i'll gie ye a heid start!!!!!!

#40 scratcher

scratcher

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Would you no be better going for a right good quality SEPTIC TANK ? hold anys amount of shite them RIKKI ovarrrrr

#41 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

haha i better way 1 tat holds plenty cow pat befor u say it  ;D ;D

#42 scratcher

scratcher

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

Just as well  u never had the septic tanky in or u wid ve been plugged ovarrrrr

#43 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

by the look o it the day he never went very far must a 4got the apple ovarrrrrrrrrrr

#44 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

Me me, that was some rant QW, niver niver iver wid I argue wee a gable end, thon lawyer needed some one to look and see if his brain's wiz functioning

#45 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

honestly the only thing i miss aboot the job is the freedom to have a good rant at someone, bobby paterson of the kelly em always said you didn't need to look thru binoculars or at the radar to see where the jasmine wiz towing, you just had to listen for the direction the shouting match was coming from, and my two think they are hard done by, you canna even make a decent complaint aboot anything these days, when my mother went into hospital at first i questioned a nurse about wether thr doc had seen her, i knew he hadn't but the male nurse tried to tell me a wee falsehood, as soon as i told him, wrong answer, try again, i could see his hand reaching for the panic button connected to the polis station across the road. i could see it in his eyes, he thought i was going to stab him or something and i'd actually lowered my voice from my normal quiet talking voice (wife has me well trained, from the start i was told to keep my mooth shut, the brothers and sister were phoning asking if i'd hit anyone yet) they have a very low opinion of me and my temper, i never hit anyone, not in 25yrs, much rather belittle them, i do a nice sideline in writing letters of complaint about anything from faulty white goods to overcharging on things like phone and leccy bills and suchlike, got myself a brand new washing machine the other week as the firm hadn't sent someone to repair the other one for five days after i called to tell them it wouldn't work, i just demanded a new machine and hey presto i got it, i then made demands about the delivery of the machine as they said it would take two weeks and it arrived two days later!!! this was a machine to replace one i'd bought 11 months ago and got £85 off of when they never delivered it on the day they promised.
don't get dom get me!!! guy on the telly is an amateur compared to me.

#46 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Aye yer a guid yin QW, good on you, no often your wrong but must admit your right again, if you don't complain you will be dumped on from a very high hight by a very large bird.

Aye mind the Older Shaws, christ they could argue but caught their share all the same, put three brothers on a boat and stand back for an episode of Family at War, speaking from experience here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#47 quiet waters

quiet waters

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

i only ever worked with one brother at a time and they were smart enough to know better than argue, the best is skippering the family boat at the age of 21 having only been back aboard for six months after a year ashore (don't ask, but it happened at tayinloan) with the crew being the two uncles and the cousin who'd been at the job ten years, halfed the net first tow and had to mend it myself while the three of them took three hours to clear the deck, hoping i'd head for the mull or relinquish command to one of them. first one to chirp got a ballpein hammer thrown at him, boat musta took a roll as i missed his heid by nearly six inches, not a word out of them for the rest of the week, other than "the b astard is aff his heid" i used to throw that hammer quite often, once thru the wheelhoose window when the old man thought i wasn't taking a bit oot the winch belt quick enuff, he never said a word until we landed that night and said "here, now get on with it" handed me a pane of glass and a bag of putty which my mother had appeared up in the car with, got into the driver seat and fecked off home!!! i never saw him again for about five weeks till he phoned on the sunday and said "i'll collect you at midnight" i must have had a poor week and he decided his holiday was over, either that or my mother got fed up listening to him. i pity the ones that spend their life working with strangers, you can get things off your chest and dealt with far better with family, strangers just take the hump and jack, or maybe they are just sensitive souls, better suited to other fishing websites?:)?:)??

#48 jamsie

jamsie

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

try macduff enginering I got four made there not to bad a price..We got them made for tubing,just gave them the size of tubes we wanted in them and the height then the lenght of tank we wanted...........

#49 Adoration II

Adoration II

mooooooo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationtoon

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

not got boat back out yet so ill get somthing next coupl of weeks cheers 4 all ur help boys

#50 johntar tt10

johntar tt10

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationtarbert

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

April 2012 and still no feckin tank aboard

#51 mactheboat

mactheboat

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Getting back to the original question- try your local readymix concrete firm and ask for mortar tubs-there are several sizes-the state of the building industry at the moment they might be glad to be rid of them!

#52 wbeedie

wbeedie

Mate

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPortree Nut hoose

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

Hows the return pipe from the injectors, is it attached to tank/fuel pipe, or left to drop into bilges
Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but it doesn't. It revolves around the Sun which shines out of my arse.

Reply to this topic