Noisy Trawlers - Whitby

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

Courtesy of our roving reporter, KevinD and the Whitby Gazette @ www.whitbygazette.co.uk/stories-with-comment/Council-hits-out-at-noisy.5267664.jp

I mean isn't it terrible that a Fishing Port such as Whitby has to put up with noisy Trawlers - sheesh, whats the world coming to  O0

Council hits out at noisy buskers in Whitby - HAVE YOUR SAY

Published Date: 15 May 2009
By Staff Copy

NOISY buskers and fishing vessels could soon be a thing of the past if Whitby Town Council gets its way.
At a recent Whitby Town Council meeting, Coun Veronica Pitts said one particular vessel in town, The Copious – which had been using a generator – had prompted complaints from residents over a few days back in April. And she added she had also hadto tell a busker using amplified music on Church Street to move on.

"It is not a satisfactory state of affairs," she said.

Coun Pitts proposed the town council finds out what the laws are on busking although she said she doesn't have anything against "acoustic buskers" who can add to the character of the town.

Coun Steve Smith said the harbour office is currently sanctioning around £7,000 of its £40,000 budget to put in power points to the outer harbour, which trawlers will be able to plug into. And he added the noise coming from the Copious when investigated had been within the accepted limits.

Coun Ian Havelock said the noise in the harbour can be "terrible" with it acting almost like an ampitheatre.

"It's been going on for five or six years," he said.

"This is not an answer. How long is it going to take before they install power at the pontoons – two, three or four years?"

Whitby's new mayor, Coun Terry Jennison, said the council is working towards quality council status and as soon as it gets it, it could look into licensing pitches for buskers.

Coun Niall Carson echoed Coun Jennison's comments, suggesting perhaps the council could purchase noise detection equipment by adding a few pence onto the precept and training someone to use it.

"I've actually been in Whitby Abbey and heard the buskers at Dock End," he said.

Coun Walter Jones said around three years ago, the subject of busking was discussed at council and buskers had to have licences.

"Can it be looked into again?" he said. "It would be interesting to find out."

Councillors agreed to send a letter to the appropriate department within Scarborough Borough Council, asking what the rules are on busking in the streets and what action can be taken.

#2 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

As pointed out by Hawkeye KevinD - this is a letter in the Whitby Gazette from a local resident. Interesting that the guy reckons to have lived in Whitby for 12 years. Wonder how many generations the owner/skipper of the Copius has been in Whitby!
http://www.whitbygaz...oise.5357815.jp

Earplugs needed for boat's noise - HAVE YOUR SAY

Published Date: 12 June 2009
By Staff Copy

RE: YOUR article on 'noisy buskers' on Friday 15 May – I was glad to see the genuine noise pollution generated by the fishing vessel The Copius was also mentioned in this article.
We have lived on the Whitby east side for over 12 years now and the only genuine, long-term noise blight we have experienced is from The Copius.

The owners have continually refused to address the problem, and are oblivious to the complaints of local residents.

The buskers, gulls lorries and other fishing vessels have never been a problem because the noise they make is intermittent and part of the working day/night in a fishing port.

The noise from The Copius when it's in port, is persistent, night and day and often for over 48 hours at a time.

I'd be interested to know who investigated the noise from The Copius and found it 'within the acceptable limits' as we've tried to get various departments of the council to measure the noise from our address for years.

Presumably there are records of the measurements taken that we can inspect?

The officials have always shied away and made excuses for the noise – it's as though they are genuinely afraid of offending the owner of the boat.

The noise might be acceptable for a short snap-shot, but over hours and hours it is genuine pollution.

We understand from one of the owner's wives the generator on The Copius is continually necessary because Filipino employees actually live on board the vessel.

That's fine and we appreciate their need for electricity, but we appreciate the need for a regular good night's sleep even more.

We presume the vessel is registered with Scarborough Borough Council as a dwelling, and is paying the appropriate council tax?

Hopefully, the installation of power points at the outer harbour will end this problem, but we aren't counting on it and are not throwing out our ear-plugs just yet.

Chris Firth

Blackburns Yard

Whitby

#3 sam

sam

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

It must be deafiningly loud if the bloke that writes the letter can be disturbed to the extent which he claims by it as to my knowledge Blackburns Yard (where he says he lives) is on the other side of Church Street to the river (i.e. from the fish market you'd have the river, a block of houses then Church Street and possibly another row of houses/shops before you got to his house). Ulterior motive perhaps?
Ps I never knew the owner practised polygamy!

#4 KEVIND

KEVIND

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

as richard said another fkn white settler wanting to run the town..he got no filopinos as crew either and his wife didnt no he was a biggamist either

#5 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Makes me laugh when you see this sort of 'complaint' - I mean, what do you expect when moving to a Fishing Port, he even has a go at the noise the Gulls produce  :cheers:

A case of Not In My Back Yard - Fishing Industry was there for hundreds of years before him, so if he doesn't like it, why doesn't he move.

#6 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

bit like them down on the helford estuary, they've got money so can buy their little rural idyll, but also think they've bought the right to dictate what should and shouldn't be...

and yes blackburns yard has a lot of buildings in front of it before you get tot he river

#7 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

And if I'm not mistaken, Blackburn's Yard comprises former Fishermen's (Whalers) cottages - so the guy needs to get a grip on the heritage of the place and also realise he works ion a 'working community'.  :cheers:

#8 DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationSUNDERLAND

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

The mans a F**KING IDIOT, If you don't like the sound ov seagulls & boats, F*CK  OFF & LIVE IN BIRMINGHAM!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: ??? ??? :uglystupid2:
Paul...shyboy...Johnson.

#9 Guest_Steve Ellwood_*

Guest_Steve Ellwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

The mans a F**KING IDIOT, If you don't like the sound ov seagulls & boats, F*CK  OFF & LIVE IN BIRMINGHAM!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: ??? ??? :uglystupid2:

Hi Paul

Here's a 'factoid" for you:

Seagulls often cluster in Birmingham, because they mistake the M5 for a river.     O0

#10 DOGSBODY

DOGSBODY

Deckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationSUNDERLAND

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi Steve,
He can still live in birmingham, just not close to any m-ways. :whistle: :whistle:
Paul...shyboy...Johnson.

#11 markh

markh

Skipper

• Administrators
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

don't get me started on the 'Birmingham Navy'

Reply to this topic