FGS Laboe - M1097
FGS Laboe - M1097 seen inbound to the Port of Tyne (North East England) on 20th February 2009 - headed for Newcastle upon Tyne as part of a Mine Hunter Squadron courtesy visit to Newcastle upon Tyne.
Photographed from North Shields Ferry Landing.
She is a Type 333 Kulmbach class but was originally built as Type 343 Hameln class minesweepers and have been upgraded to minehunters using Seefuchs expendable drones to detonate detected naval mines.
Commissioned - December 1989
Displacement: 635 tonnes
Length: 54.40 m
Beam: 9.20 m
Draught: 2.84 m
* 2 x MTU 16V 538 TB91 diesel engines, 2240 kW each
* 2 x Renk PLS 25 gearboxes
* 2 x propeller shafts driving controllable pitch propellers
Speed: 18 knots
* 2 x Bofors 40mm/L70 dual-purpose gun (currently upgrading to MLG 27 remote-controlled autocannons)
* 2 x FIM-92 Stinger surface-to-air missile (MANPADS) stands
* Mine-laying capabilities