FGS Weilheim - M1059
FGS Weilheim - M1059 seen inbound to the Port of Tyne (North East England) on 20th February 2009 - headed for Newcastle upon Tyne as part of a Mine Hunter Squadron courtesy visit to Newcastle upon Tyne.
Photographed from North Shields Ferry Landing.
Type 332 Frankenthal class mine hunter is a class of German mine hunters, built of non-magnetic steel.
Type: Mine hunter
Displacement: 650 t
Length: 54.4 m
Beam: 9.2 m
Draft: 2.6 m
* 2 x MTU 16V 538 TB91 diesel-engines, 2040 kW each
* 2 x electric motors for slow and silent manoeuvring
* 2 x Renk PLS 25 E gearboxes
* 2 x controllable pitch propellers
Speed: 18 kn
* 1 x Bofors 40 mm/L70 dual purpose gun (currently upgrading to 1 x MLG 27 27 mm autocannon)
* 2 FIM-92 Stinger MANPADS surface-to-air missile
* 2 x Pinguin B3 mine hunting ROVs
* Mine laying capabilities