HMS Chatham - F87
HMS Chatham - F87 outbound from the Port of Tyne for the final time - 24th January 2011 - taken from Western Quay, North Shields, North East England.
HMS Chatham - F87 is a Type 22 frigate of the Royal Navy.
At the time of these photographs she was just about to be de-commissioned.
Built by Swan Hunter Shipbuilders and launched 20 January 1988.
Displacement: 5,300 tons
Length: 148.1 m (486 ft 9 in)
Beam: 14.8 m (48 ft 6 in)
Draught: 6.4 m (21 ft)
Propulsion: 2 × Rolls-Royce Marine Spey gas turbines (high speed)
2 × Rolls Royce Tyne gas turbines (cruising) 2 shafts driving variable pitch propellers with COGAG (Combined gas and gas) gearbox, allowing all four engines to provide power to the drive train.
Speed: 18 knots (33 km/h) cruise
30 knots (56 km/h) maximum
Complement: 250 (max. 301)
* 2 x Sea Wolf anti air system (Total of 72 Sea Wolf missiles)
* 2 × Quad Harpoon missile launchers (total of 8 Harpoons)
* 2 x triple Magazine launched anti-submarine torpedo tubes (total of 36 torpedoes)
* 1 x 4.5 inch (114 mm) Mk.8 gun
* 2 × 20 mm GAM-BO1 guns
* 1 x Goalkeeper CIWS
* NATO Seagnat Decoy Launchers
2 x Lynx Mk.8 helicopters (but only 1 Lynx in peace time). Armed with
* 4 x Sea Skua anti-ships missiles
* 2 x Sting Ray anti-submarine torpedoes
* 2 x Mk 11 depth charges
* 2 x Machine guns